Turbo - with Min SPEC or High SPEC diesel S?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Boxster2Macan

Post by Boxster2Macan »

Hi All

I am in a massive dilemma!

My budget stretches to a high spec Macan Diesel S 2015/2016 model year or a low spec Turbo similar years.

I am fine with buying outside of the OPC network and therefore have a quite a selection to choose from.

My only must have options are BOSE/Burmester, and PDLS (ideally +), PASM. Nice to have options: Full Leather, Carbon, Sunroof, Active cruise, Sports Chrono, PSE.

Trouble is when I start looking for the above, I can often buy a Turbo for only £1-2K more than the diesel.

My concerns: I think I will get as much pleasure driving the diesel as compared to the Turbo, as it is an SUV after all! Is there really a significant difference in a/b road driving between these cars. I have owned a boxster for many years and do not expect either the Turbo/diesel to replicate this. Also the wife will drive this car and she refuses to drive the Boxster - too fast and firm a ride for her and its a manual. Will she notice a significant difference in every day driving between the Turbo and Diesel S? My secret plan is to get her to drive the Macan and then I can by myself an old 911!

Also when it comes to resale in between 3 - 5 years what car will hold its value better?

Especially with the move to Electric and away from diesel is the Turbo better?

Sorry for all the questions but I am sure I will enjoy either car, its just difficult to decide, especially as I haven't driven either car.

My ideal would be a GTS obviously! But my finances don't stretch that far!

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If you plan to do lots of miles I would go for the diesel.

If you plan to do mostly short journeys or around town the petrol would probably me more suitable.

Both are great to drive :D :D :D
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Hi,
For me it would be the Diesel, Burmester is great mine was brand new in sept 2015 with 25K if options, 42,000 miles
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Macans are great, but you are at either end of the engine scale with your dilemma!
# Turbo will be considerably faster than the diesel, so you will get more pleasure from it....not sure about your wife though!
# SD's torque means its a great cruiser on give and take A and B roads
# Turbo will use twice as much fuel as the diesel, but if you are doing low annual mileage or short trips then go for the petrol
# Turbo will be on the bigger wheel option and if comfort is a priority, then best to get one with Air Suspension; ditto if the SD is on 21" alloys and no PASM
# diesel v. petrol - in theory the Turbo will have better residual value in the future, especially as there are / were fewer built than the SD

You really need to drive both and with your suspension / wheel size combo of choice.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Boxster2Macan

Post by Boxster2Macan »

Great advice, but driving either is not an option for me at the moment with lockdown challenges.. I may wait for the right car as not in a rush to buy - not driving anywhere at the moment!

@Spicky.. yes also looking at Diesel cars with circa 20K+ options or a low spec Turbo. I can make do with the BOSE as have it in boxster, the Burmester is on another level but very rare on a diesel. Also I think with PASM 20 or 21 the ride should be similar? Mileage wise between 5-10K per annum (assuming no extended lockdowns! :) )
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

At 5-10k, buy the Turbo.

I have an SD from new, 2016. Mine has 20k of options fitted, 21's, Air, Bose, full leather. Bear in mind they're mostly standard on a Turbo, so you're getting more bang for your buck without options. A Turbo will drink Super Unleaded like Ollie Read but with your mileage, live a little. I do 17k a year so the SD is the sensible choice. i've just extended the warranty on mine for years 6 & 7. Best car by far I've ever owned. Whichever one you choose, you won't regret it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Given the low miles you do I’d go turbo over diesel

The diesel, to me, was the most disappointing drive of the range and had more understeer when pushing on
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Mine is on 21 inch sport design wheels with air suspension, great ride and so refined, loads of punch, we do 8K per annum and have done since new, never had DPF issue, or even a warning
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
Boxster2Macan

Post by Boxster2Macan »

Is it possible to check what the Gen 1 Macan Turbo standard specification was?

I know I will pay a premium of upto £5K for a high spec Macan when compared to a Macan with low spec and likely this premium will disappear when I come to sell it in 3-5 years, but at least I have paid a discount on these options when compared to new.

The specification is more important to me than either a Turbo or Diesel engine.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Get the Turbo, the DS is a nice car but the Turbo is a much more special thing. A turbo also had a much more extensive spec before adding anything so never likely to feel poverty spec even with nothing added.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50