Getting rid of stone marks on glass

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

My windscreen was hit by a small stone on a dual carriageway today.
Two distinct surface marks/scratches on the glass were the result - very much surface marks which feel rough under a fingernail, but are very visible.
Advice please - I have read (on t'internet) that toothpaste can be rubbed on and polished to remove such marks. Before I try it, has anyone else tried such a remedy or can recommend another method?

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I had something similar on my Cayman. You need to find a professional glass polisher. They are often independent and run a mobile polishing service. It takes time, special polish and a special polishing head. They also need to constantly take temperature readings on the glass to avoid damaging the laminate between the glass panes.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

If they aren't in your line of sight there's nothing to be greatly concerned about. Toothpaste will get crud off the glass but is highly unlikely to polish out scratches (might it be tar left on the glass? 🤞) however it sure won't do any harm to try! Good luck.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

We have picked up a scratch this week, perhaps caused by sand/grit getting caught under the blade.

I used some cutting compound a few times and seemed to improve slightly, but still visible when sitting in drivers seat.

Will see how much of an annoyance it is and had already thought calling a polisher will be the only permanent solution.
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
DougL

Post by DougL »

Jeweller's rouge