2018 Gen 1 Macan S or a 2019 Gen 2 Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Buy the car with the spec you like most. The 2.0 litre car surprisingly quick. The S will depreciate less I’d suggest. Whichever you buy you’ll enjoy
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Alex_F wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:33 am Hi all,
As per the title, what is the opinion on buying;
Gen 1 2018 Macan S
Or
Gen 2 2019 Macan
They are both around the same price. It's the performance of the S Vs the updated Macan
Before this I was happy enough driving a 2000 ford focus so performance isn't the main driving factor per say. But then as my first Porsche purchase I do feel there could be some regret in getting the 2.0 litre engine. I don't drive to work so my mileage is low. Also thinking of residuals in say 3 years.
Thanks
Given your usage and needs as a family car, then I would go for the Gen 2 2019 Macan. Newer and with lower mileage. More economic on fuel and to insure. Potentially better residual future value. Benefits from the panoramic roof which all the family will enjoy and will lighten the interior. Has the LED headlights, latest SatNav etc,

You say you permance is not your main driving factor. If you had I would say the 3.0 S. You will enjoy your Macan just as much with the 2.0 with your low mileage use.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
froggyr32

Post by froggyr32 »

Six cylinder all day long!
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

One thing to bear in mind is the 2.0 doesn’t have PASM and 21” wheels with no PASM wouldn’t be great. For that reason alone I would discount it
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

hopz121 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:12 pm One thing to bear in mind is the 2.0 doesn’t have PASM and 21” wheels with no PASM wouldn’t be great. For that reason alone I would discount it
Actually looking again it looks like it does have PASM as I think I can see the Shock logo on the centre console. If that’s the case ignore my comment :)
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

V6, tick. Porsche V6, tick. Later cars have an Audi engine...........

or a Macan with a 4 cylinder Golf engine................................

(ducks below parapet)
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Alex_F wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:33 am Hi all,

As per the title, what is the opinion on buying;

Gen 1 2018 Macan S

Or

Gen 2 2019 Macan

They are both around the same price. It's the performance of the S Vs the updated Macan

Before this I was happy enough driving a 2000 ford focus so performance isn't the main driving factor per say. But then as my first Porsche purchase I do feel there could be some regret in getting the 2.0 litre engine. I don't drive to work so my mileage is low. Also thinking of residuals in say 3 years.

Thanks
if I read what you are looking for performance is not the main driver but want better 3-year residuals. I think the facelift fits your requirements for both criteria. Sports exhaust & sport chrono on the S not really needed if it’s not a performance driven choice. You get air suspension on the S so comfort most likely better, as both have 21's, the new chassis and lighter engine may offset, not sure? No pan roof however, that’s a residual winner and apparently the most sought after extra, it lifts the lightness of the cabin for both driver & passengers nice to have too. Not sure the percentage of those suffering with leaks, mine has been fine so far.

Auto diming sport design mirrors also useful additions together with power steering plus. You also get Led lights, which are much better than the older xenon's .

If running costs are a factor then the 2.0L engine has pretty good performance, it’s not a V6, which is nice to have, if you want the performance and it will sound and drive smoother plus the sound with the sports exhaust -will be very Porsche like, if these are things you are looking for. The S also has a lot of extra's the previous owner paid for so on an extra's level it’s a good buy.

The S is the last of the Gen 1 so this must be a negative impact on residuals and I would expect that a new facelift, 8 months newer, less wear and tear, lighter engine with lower miles and running costs would have better residuals. Looking at what's available on the facelift right ow this is well priced and almost all others are more expensive. The S on the other hand has quite a few at lower costs
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Am I the only one who thinks the gen 1 looks better from the rear?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:55 pm Am I the only one who thinks the gen 1 looks better from the rear?
Nope I agree

I do however love the PCM module in the new model
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:55 pm Am I the only one who thinks the gen 1 looks better from the rear?
+1👍
Gen 2 reminds me a bit of the Kia Sportage rear.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White