Heated Windscreen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MSUK

Post by MSUK »

OK, so after opting for the heated windscreen on my 2019 S and wondering if I had been sold a dud (it was not cold enough to need it last year), I have had the chance to play a bit over the winter. My thoughts.

1 - You press the heated "rear screen" button to activate, not the demist the front windscreen button. On my car I press the button on the right not the left (will grab a photo)
2 - It takes a short while to get going - I really wondered if it was on at all to start off with, maybe 1 minute for the "action" to start
3 - On my car at least the effect seems strongest / starts near the rear view mirror and then kicks in over the rest of the screen, more pronounced initially at the top
4 - Once it gets started (about a minute) seems to be very effective at clearing ice and frost, and even making sure that the layer of snow on the screen comes off easily. Only 3 mins or so max although it was not -10 or anything quite that severe where I live, maybe -4 ish.

So, was I sold a dud, not in my opinion. Now that I have used it in anger (and found out how to activate it) I think its a good choice. I just need to have the whole thing replaced now due to a massive crack appearing in it.

Hope this helps any of you that have it and not used it, or those planning to option it. I would choose it again.

MS
-------------------------------------
2019 Macan S, Night Blue, Agate Partial leather, traffic jam assist, turbo wheels, heated seats, sports steering wheel, heated screen, roof transport system. Nut behind the wheel loose.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It would always be one of the first boxes that I tick.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

It's a bit slow to work but I like it too!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had a heated windscreen in a Mondeo and it was brilliant. Downside was when the sun was low in front of the car you could see the elements. Specified heated windscreen in my Cayenne and was disappointed. It never worked as well as the Ford system.

Haven't bothered in either of my Macans and have found I could match the clearing speed posted by the OP just using the screen demist. Of course, with lockdown I haven't actually tried windscreen clearing on the GTS. I'm retired so a few minutes delay on a really frosty morning means nothing to me so the option may be more use to workers.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
andreas

Post by andreas »

I've got an old Freelander2 which I use for towing. That has the Ford-derived heated windscreen. It works, but I hate the fact that I can see the elements, which are quite distracting in some light conditions.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Echo the 'element issue' of others with a succession of RS Fords. Would not spec again
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

There are no visible elements on the Macan screen, it's a gel based solution.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
RAA

Post by RAA »

I opted for the heated windscreen in my Gen.2 Macan S: as jaffacake says, it's a layer of gel between two layers of glass, so it's invisible and no distracting wires. It takes about 30 seconds to loosen ice and hard frost, and then the wipers will clear it. It's great: no more scraping - I wouldn't be without it !
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I noticed the heated screen on my Cayenne has a slight yellow tint to it.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

RAA wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:18 pm I opted for the heated windscreen in my Gen.2 Macan S: as jaffacake says, it's a layer of gel between two layers of glass, so it's invisible and no distracting wires. It takes about 30 seconds to loosen ice and hard frost, and then the wipers will clear it. It's great: no more scraping - I wouldn't be without it !
I echo this on my Gen 2 and for the function its a relatively cheap option to add. I defrosted from -4c to being able to use the wipers in under 2mins. There is no visible sign that its in the window. I would have preferred a separate button, other than that its excellent.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)