Use it or look after it!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

bennachie wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 pm
TheTraveller wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 am
ScotMac wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 pm I garage my Macan every night and don't apply the handbrake.

I have always thought that it is better not to have the handbrake on in the garage. Not sure what is recommended for modern electric handbrakes ???
+1 for that. Plus whenever it's on a flat surface/road, the same applies. I just make sure it's used occasionally, so that it has less chance of siezing up. As they still have the same old tech', ie. brake shoes and drums, in effect at the rear for the hand (parking) brake mechanism.
You really, really sure about that?

Rear brakes are Audi sourced.............
For sure, the parking brake mechanism is located inside the rear hubs, and is on a totally separate system from the footbrake, as all cars are (method of operation). This on the Macan consists of brake shoes, which act on the inside of the hubs, acting as drums. This tech' is as old as Adam.
There is a saying that all vehicles have 3 braking systems, 1, foot brake, 2, parking brake, and 3, emergency brake, which is in effect the hand brake. But our cars are so large and heavy, any application of the parking brake while at speed, I'm not sure about. It may just rip the small brake shoes away from their backs.

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Applying the handbrake at speed activates emergency braking on the Macan, and brings the car very rapidly to a halt (as tried out at PEC!).
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ The service manual shows the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) actuator mounted to the inside of the rear brake calipers, and acting on the same.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Double take on that one. I did ones on the Cayenne and assumed it was the same, which it is not. As you guys have pointed out, the parking brake operates on the same system as the footbrake, via the rear calipers. Just a slightly different way inetrnally. Most humble appologies for that one.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ ๐Ÿ‘