Use it or look after it!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Given the sad state of lockdown we are all living in (OMG over 1 year!) and the fact most companies are now introducing remote working hybrid options, I think it is becoming VITAL we start looking after our cars differently:

1. Cars need to be driven.... and that means regular (weekly) runs of > 30 miles
2. Batteries need looking after (charged) if you are not doing at least 1 > 30 mile run a week
3. Brakes will rust if not used...especially if it’s been raining / subject to temp change
4. Seals (all types) will dry out if not exercised
5. Fuel will go stale / suffer from water ingress
6. Tyres will go flat

If you don’t use your cars, don’t be surprised if they start letting you down...and don’t blame Porsche!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)

pmg

Post by pmg »

Agree totally

Fortunately, I live in a relatively country area and established such a policy which I have managed to achieve the above on one shopping trip a week. I would also add bad to do any much shorter trips in addition when the engine oil does not get up to near full operating temperature. i.e one trip of 30 miles plus 6 days of two miles only still very bad.

When I bought my Macan in 2019 I was intending to buy a small EV hatch for very short trips and will do so when I am confident of the model and freedom to leave home regularly
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Just a hunk of metal likely to rust away and break down same as the cheapest Vauxhall then eh!🤣
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Perhaps I'm lucky I drive to Costco via the motorway each week. The discounts pay for the fuel and the journey keeps the car happy.

Drive this car like you stole it and you'll be fine.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Luckily :roll: :roll: :roll: I am still keeping the wheels of industry turning (not working from home).....so no such problems :D :D :D
pmg

Post by pmg »

Coincidental, I have a feed from Autotrader summarising new listed V6 Macan's. this morning there is a listing for a late 2015 Turbo i.e 5 1/4 years old that's done 9100 miles. Personally, I would avoid something with so little use.

The other thing to report is how the number of cars listed has risen substantially from typically 3 to 5 pre-pandemic to 7 to 10 per day, so maybe owners are selling cars they are using less.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Northnoble wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:27 pm Given the sad state of lockdown we are all living in (OMG over 1 year!) and the fact most companies are now introducing remote working hybrid options, I think it is becoming VITAL we start looking after our cars differently:

1. Cars need to be driven.... and that means regular (weekly) runs of > 30 miles
2. Batteries need looking after (charged) if you are not doing at least 1 > 30 mile run a week
3. Brakes will rust if not used...especially if it’s been raining / subject to temp change
4. Seals (all types) will dry out if not exercised
5. Fuel will go stale / suffer from water ingress
6. Tyres will go flat

If you don’t use your cars, don’t be surprised if they start letting you down...and don’t blame Porsche!

Not sure i need preaching to :roll:

All your points are however valid except the fact I'm Stuck in Hong Kong since December and travel restrictions. I’d love to drive my car but alas a 6k mile flight and quarantine threat makes it nigh on impossible for the time being
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

A car tucked up inside a heated garage on a trickle charger doesn’t need to be driven monthly at all. They will be fine if parked up for a few months over winter and then used again throughout spring, summer and autumn. Appreciate this isn’t usual for a Macan as it’s not that type of car but it will be fine if your circumstances mean yours hasn’t moved for several months.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
pmg

Post by pmg »

Beaverman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:16 pm A car tucked up inside a heated garage on a trickle charger doesn’t need to be driven monthly at all. They will be fine if parked up for a few months over winter and then used again throughout spring, summer and autumn. Appreciate this isn’t usual for a Macan as it’s not that type of car but it will be fine if your circumstances mean yours hasn’t moved for several months.
I think that is the case for something like a classic air cooled 911, but modern cars have air conditioning and turbos with seals that are better kept lubricated
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Yes agree that it would be better to run it more frequently but it won’t start falling apart if not
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44