Use it or look after it!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Beaverman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:16 pm A car tucked up inside a heated garage on a trickle charger doesn’t need to be driven monthly at all.
Drove mine yesterday for first time since December - thanks to 'stay at home' changing to 'stay local' in Scotland. Was on a trickle charger, and started no problem at all. Biggest surprise was that the brakes hadn't seized. Car drove as good as new!
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Beaverman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 pm Yes agree that it would be better to run it more frequently but it won’t start falling apart if not
Beg to differ.....if the car is a few years old and degradation of the seals / components has started...not using or at least not looking after it will cause problems. More so of course if the car is left outside. 2 of my cars are winter garage queens and kept in a dry garage on trickle chargers, but even those take a few miles to get back to normal once taken out of hibernation....the Ariel Atom always loses cooling fluid over the winter....seeps and weeps!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

I think I did say that storing in a heated garage with a trickle charger it will be fine. I agree, left outside not on a trickle charger, perhaps under a tree, or by the coast it will not fair so well.

Out of interest what do you do to a car then that’s been stored in these conditions for say 6 months when you want to get it back in the road?
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

The procedure I follow is as follows ( if car has not been used for a few months)

1. Before starting check tyre pressures and fluid levels (oil needs time to warm up though)...oh and disconnect battery charger and check windscreen wipers not stuck to windows.
2. See if car will rock forward with a gentle push (check for seized brakes)
3. Start engine, leave to idle for about 1 minute (until idle level drops)
4. Pull forward / backwards 10 feet then check ground under where car was sitting for leaks etc.
5.Pull away slowly and drive gently, with a few gentle pushes of the brakes early in the journey
6.Drive for at least 30 miles without switching the engine off (allows everything to get up to full temp and things settle down).... I think doing at least 30 miles is very important for first run.
7. Check oil level and keep an eye on temps etc
8. When home and everything cooled down, check tyres and fluids and all window / door seals
9. Enjoy!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Thanks for that, seems very sensible. I have a cayman R which has been tucked up over winter which I’m going to get out today.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Can I add one thing to remember when putting it away for its hibernation. If it's possible, ie, if it's on a flat surface, don't apply the handbrake at all. Just put it in gear, opposite to the direction of how it got into the garage. That is because any slight sticking of the clutch if it's a manual, will free it off when the engine is first turned over., and having it opposite to how it went in, will ensure it doesn't go into a wall or the front of the garage, if it does.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I garage my Macan every night and don't apply the handbrake.

I have always thought that it is better not to have the handbrake on in the garage. Not sure what is recommended for modern electric handbrakes ???
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 pm I garage my Macan every night and don't apply the handbrake.

I have always thought that it is better not to have the handbrake on in the garage. Not sure what is recommended for modern electric handbrakes ???
+1 for that. Plus whenever it's on a flat surface/road, the same applies. I just make sure it's used occasionally, so that it has less chance of siezing up. As they still have the same old tech', ie. brake shoes and drums, in effect at the rear for the hand (parking) brake mechanism.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 am
ScotMac wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 pm I garage my Macan every night and don't apply the handbrake.

+1 for that. Plus whenever it's on a flat surface/road, the same applies. I just make sure it's used occasionally, so that it has less chance of siezing up. As they still have the same old tech', ie. brake shoes and drums, in effect at the rear for the hand (parking) brake mechanism.
You really, really sure about that?

Rear brakes are Audi sourced.............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

No shoes or separate drum on a Macan, unlike 911, Cayman or even Cayenne.........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'