Transfer case advice.....

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Have you had a read of this thread @Elie1930, as it explains the Ackermann effect, whereby the front wheels ‘scrub’ when turning on full lock, which may be what you’re experiencing?

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/does ... ns.168903/
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon

Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Thanks and yes made sure I was familiar with this - I do get very extreme Ackermann which I've read and heard can be related to transfer case e.g. car can jump very violently on full lock turning

But the other symptoms are in all manner of situations, very variable and more than just the rubber scrubbing - biggest sensation is a wheel slipping from the rear - as others have said, almost like a clutch slipping, not engaging
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

My 2016 SD had those symptoms too last year, only at low speeds. Which sounds like the TBox is on its way out. It felt like it was changing gear with a slight thump in the back, but it wasn't changing gear. And also felt like it was on a road with slight bumps, but the road was level. It was getting worse.
When it really manifested itself beyond all ambiguity, was when I drove up a very tight multi story car park, over several floors and then reversed into a bay. It sounded like it was coming after me through the transmission tunnel, the noise was horrendous.
When I took it in to the OPC, the first question they asked was, does it only happen at low speeds. I explained everything, and the box was replaced.