Transfer case advice.....

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

A popular post this I'm sure and my 2nd - having had car in for extensive checks with main dealer, they have deemed the transfer case is ok.

As I am still getting mild and intermittent symptoms which seem to match those of transfer case issues, my question is simple - can this part fail slowly over time with the symptoms starting mild and intermittent and gradually developing into more obvious and regularly ones? Has anyone had this gradual development or do the issues just appear once the part has failed?

I can live with the car as it is but wondering if eventually it will get worse to point where the dealer can experience clearly.

Or finally would it be recommended to push to get it replaced anyway e.g. I've read Porsche have upgraded the part - if so is there a secret magic word to get them to do it as so far they are indicating they cannot under do under warranty until they clearly find the issues.

Thanks
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)

Towser

Post by Towser »

In my case the symptoms definitely got worse over time. Initially I thought I was imagining things and couldn't replicate the issue. Eventually I could replicate it in certain situations and then it happened pretty much all the time.
GTS Collected Jan 2017! http://www.porsche-code.com/PHK34WL9
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Really helpful, thanks - notice you are in Fife, I'm Stirling - which dealer have you used?

I bought the car from Porsche Leeds but using Perth.............not sure how good Edinburgh and Glasgow are?

That is one of my options e.g. get a 2nd opinion
2016 S Diesel sold
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

If you've got 12 minutes to spare, then this video might be helpful....

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Cheers and yes this was the video that prompted me to re post here - it's very helpful - my problem is symptoms appear to be mild / intermittent hence the dealer as giving it a clean bill of health.....strange to say but I'm hopefully the symptoms develop further so it can easily be felt by the dealer and get sorted.........very frustrating as love the car to bits
2016 S Diesel sold
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Elie1930 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm Cheers and yes this was the video that prompted me to re post here - it's very helpful - my problem is symptoms appear to be mild / intermittent hence the dealer as giving it a clean bill of health.....strange to say but I'm hopefully the symptoms develop further so it can easily be felt by the dealer and get sorted.........very frustrating as love the car to bits
I live in Motherwell and have been using Porsche Glasgow after buying from Porsche Cambridge.

I thoroughly recommend that and i suggest you ask for Alan in the service dept.
2015 Macan SD - Carrara White
Pan Roof, PDLS, Sport Design Kit with rear mid section painted, 20inch RS Spyders, PCM/Nav, ACC, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, Black Sports Tailpipes etc
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

What are your symptoms? Mine has only 23k on the clock and has had two replacement transfer boxes, but my problem still remains - it hesitates at low throttle, a bit like a clutch judder.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Towser

Post by Towser »

Elie1930 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm Really helpful, thanks - notice you are in Fife, I'm Stirling - which dealer have you used?

I bought the car from Porsche Leeds but using Perth.............not sure how good Edinburgh and Glasgow are?

That is one of my options e.g. get a 2nd opinion
I’ve used Edinburgh who have generally been helpful. Depending who you speak to you get good and bad reports about both Edinburgh and Glasgow OPC.
GTS Collected Jan 2017! http://www.porsche-code.com/PHK34WL9
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good video

Good advice on spec. too... black, pan roof and wheels :oops: :oops: :oops:
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Thanks for helpful comments

I think getting all the symptoms mentioned across the forums etc - but in relatively intermittent, mild form - overall car is often hard to drive smoothly, feeling of wheels slipping and skipping - when put power down especially with any kind of lock there is some feeling of the car sorting itself out, settling, slight scrabbling about - like it's not in sync - I'm used to it now I guess but assuming this is not normal.

nothing severe but definitely something not right but Perth have had the car in 2-3 times and done what they call very thorough checks and given it clean bill of health. I had a brand new 2.0 courtesy car and it was perfect in comparison.

I may try Ed or Glasgow but not easy logistically
2016 S Diesel sold