Macan - Suitable work horse/family SUV?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
NickMSM

Post by NickMSM »

We are looking at replacing my wife's A35 AMG in a few months and going back to an SUV for family duties (16 & 8 yr olds). Having had various Land Rovers over the years (actually been fairly reliable) I was/sort of still am considering a RR Sport or Velar but the crankshaft issues are a major turn off. This has turned my interest to a Macan or maybe even a Levante which are supposed to be pretty reliable. I have driven a few Macans but not for a few years when I used to have a loaner from OPC for my 911 servicing.

Is the Macan suitable as a work horse/family wagon? I do wonder if it's big/robust enough for kids, the tip run, occasionally light off roading etc - the Cayenne would be okay but we aren't keen on it's looks tbh. The GTS looks nice, but I am hoping to spend mid-high 30s so probably not in budget unless a high/er mileage example, is the diesel worth going for over petrol?

Many thanks!

MSUK

Post by MSUK »

Mine gets used on camp sites, up dirt tracks (very light off roading). Kids in back, roof box on top. To and from the garden centre as well as tip runs and it is fine. Depends how big your children are / how tall you are as rear leg room can be limited if you are tall.

As ever YMMV :-)

I have a 2019 petrol S, but get satisfactory mpg on long runs (31 ish)

MS
-------------------------------------
2019 Macan S, Night Blue, Agate Partial leather, traffic jam assist, turbo wheels, heated seats, sports steering wheel, heated screen, roof transport system. Nut behind the wheel loose.
TheyMadeMeDoIt

Post by TheyMadeMeDoIt »

I bought a turbo recently as a family do it all vehicle and so far it’s been great at everything I’ve thrown at it.

I was dubious about room in the back for the kids but I’m 6’ 3 and even I can fit in the back with ease. The boot is big enough for our large dog and with the rear seats down a variable load lugger
NickMSM

Post by NickMSM »

That sounds positive so far, thank you both. Any reliability/things to look out for? Would try and get one with an extended warranty ideally but doesn't seem too much to be concerned about from what I read.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Mine is great, my kids are 17 and 20 and often travel with us with no issues. Mine has roof bars and a tow bar mounted bike rack and can take bikes on the roof and on the tow bar with a boot full of crap, no worries. My daughter is involved with the local stables and the Macan is often there in mud and gravel, no issues. I do have winter wheels though which help.

I drove the petrol and diesel versions when I bought two years ago and chose the diesel as it just seems to fit the SUV thing better. Granted a GTS would be nice, but was out of my price range. I got a 2 year old with 10k miles with a lot of extras for £42k. It’s now probably still worth £35k two years later. What’s not to like?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

In short, yes.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

NickMSM wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 pm We are looking at replacing my wife's A35 AMG in a few months and going back to an SUV for family duties (16 & 8 yr olds). Having had various Land Rovers over the years (actually been fairly reliable) I was/sort of still am considering a RR Sport or Velar but the crankshaft issues are a major turn off. This has turned my interest to a Macan or maybe even a Levante which are supposed to be pretty reliable. I have driven a few Macans but not for a few years when I used to have a loaner from OPC for my 911 servicing.

Is the Macan suitable as a work horse/family wagon? I do wonder if it's big/robust enough for kids, the tip run, occasionally light off roading etc - the Cayenne would be okay but we aren't keen on it's looks tbh. The GTS looks nice, but I am hoping to spend mid-high 30s so probably not in budget unless a high/er mileage example, is the diesel worth going for over petrol?

Many thanks!
Works fine for us as our only car. Just need to keep it clean.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
X5JDX

Post by X5JDX »

Recently purchased a 2017 Macan S Diesel. After 13 years of owning X5’s we decided to downsize but wanted something premium and reliable.

The Transfer box appears to be the Macan’s Achilles heel so purchasing with an approved 2 year Porsche warranty gives real peace of mind.

Our Macan has a towbar and it’s more than capable hauling my 8’ x 5’ trailer on the dump run.

The roof bars are as yet unused but offers the flexibility of a roof box if required. It may struggle to fit all our suitcases when heading off to the airport but that’s not happening any time soon...

So far we’re very happy with our decision and enjoying the Macan.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.