19 Wheels + PASM - is it a necessity! !

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

IT's all a can of worms!

I chose air suspension, primarily for the abilty to change ride height. But 10mm between low and normal isn't really detectable height-wise (but I do think it makes the ride more controlled as opposed to stiffer) and off-road mode mainly gets used when I'm washing under the wheel arches! ;-)

I chose 19" wheels (on all-seasons, which turned out to be Goodyears) for lower road noise and higher side walls than larger wheels. However, I now have a set of 18" Macan wheels with Continental winter tyres and the ride is far quieter and better! PASM Sport+ and air set to low will still make the car firmer than I usually want so it is not too soft for me.

When I bought my car, the advice was that you "needed" PASM for 20" wheels and air for 21" from a ride comfort perspective and conversely, didn't need PASM for 19" wheels and shouldn't have it for 18". Add in tyre brand and I think it is quite hard to predict what any individual car will feel like.

If I were buying again, what would I do? I'd probably buy those new 20" diamond-cut wheels 'cos I think they look so nice! And probably air + PASM again because of fear of missing out ;-). And I'd probably still prefer the ride when the winters went back on!
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Air is only really for offroading I was advised and i think you get pasm as standard with Air. Mine rides just fine on 21's and pasm set in comfort and I came from a Range Rover Sport battle cruiser. You pays yer money as they say.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

...and for towing I would say.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:41 pm Col having had a Cayman on 20” wheels without PASM I probably would never buy another Porsche without PASM. However it very much depends on intended use and roads travelled etc.

For someone using the car for driving mostly in the city I think 19” wheels without PASM is probably the right choice given they are unlikely to average more than 20 mph and the higher sidewall will protect against kerbing.

Agree that PASM is not just about spirited driving and the difference between PASM and non PASM cars on a broken surface is night and day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said Van.

The only Macan I have driven without PASM was on 21” classics and the ride was dire.

Its an odd one, where is the cut off between yes/no for many buyers.

Hence why it is important to test drive a Macan with the wheel size, seating and suspension that the buyer is intending to include.

Finding a demo Macan without PASM may well be a challenge.

If in doubt include PASM, good grief if a buyer is spending £50k+ on a car and is baulking at a few hundred more then they should consider another marque which offers more VFM.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

A quick look at the Porsche used car locator, there are 290 examples (presumably available to test drive) and only 137 with PASM.
With luck you'll find one moderately close by.
Road trip!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Come and have a ride in mine, it's fine. I have tried various wheel/suspension combinations and 21" with pasm is fine for me especially in the bends. If you just want to cruise around then go 18" and air.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Mine is just fine on steel non PASM and 21s (in summer) and 19 winters now. Ride fine on both (I came from a Cayman S on steel non PASM 20s) been in loads with different wheel/tyre combos. MUCH prefer what I have to anything else............

Just to add to the confusion........................

It's all about personal perception and preferences....................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm The only Macan I have driven without PASM was on 21” classics and the ride was dire.
The first Macan we test drove from Silverstone OPC was on 21's and PASM. The ride to us, coming from an XF, was so bad that we curtailed the test drive and took it back, to their dismay. They had readied an ex demo car to show us, also on 21" classics, but painted in matching Dark Blue, they looked awful to our eyes and we were not interested, so we left. A few days later they called and offered a set of new 19" wheels of our choice with new tyres, and £3000 off the price, so we went back, drove the car and did the deal.
From the options I've driven, 20's on summer tyres with PASM would be my preference, a combination of looks, good handling and smooth ride. I like the look of the new 20's now available.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16