19 Wheels + PASM - is it a necessity! !

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mcanny

Post by Mcanny »

I would always have PASM, had it on every Porsche I have owned, didn't use it that much on the Turbo Ss or the Boxter GTS ,BUT I use it all the time on the Macan, I find the normal setting just a little bit to soft so thanks to driver memory when my key is used the suspension is automatically switched from comfort to sports.

www.porsche-code.com/PG7L9Qc5 sold 24th March 2016

GTS ordered 9th November 15, May 16 build, May 24th delivered www.porsche-code.com/PH62SLM5

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I would always have PASM, had it on every Porsche I have owned, didn't use it that much on the Turbo Ss or the Boxter GTS ,BUT I use it all the time on the Macan, I find the normal setting just a little bit to soft so thanks to driver memory when my key is used the suspension is automatically switched from comfort to sports.

Well, you were using it on the other cars, you just didn't fiddle with it.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

If you have air suspension does the air setting get logged to the key also?
SB

Sportback2016-01-06 15:05:24
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2
goron59

Post by goron59 »

If you have air suspension does the air setting get logged to the key also?

I don't think so. PASM modes yes. Low level is remembered anyway. Terrain level is a funny one because it can't be used above certain speeds and for safety reasons, should never be used on normal roads.
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

So many people seem to ask whether PASM is necessary for comfort on larger wheels! I’ve never been a fan of ride comfort, preferring a nice firm ride (don’t know why, maybe I like feeling what’s going on at the road surface... adds to the driving experience) But some say it gives a better handling car, but are we just talking about ‘at the limit’ handling such as on the track? I’ve read posts from people saying they’ve tested PASM/standard back to back and not really noticed ‘better’ handling (TG suggest you don’t need any electronic handling aids for a great handling Macan) while others say it makes a huge difference! I don’t believe it makes a huge difference and at a guess I’d say it’s subtle and probably only at the cars limits, which none of us should be reaching on a public road anyway!

The standard reply is “try it for yourself and see” but I think we’d all be hard pressed to find a local(ish) OPC with a demonstrator car with no PASM as they all seem to be fully loaded!! I think the trick is they supply demonstrators with these aids so the buyer then ticks the box automatically ‘just to be sure’ because there are no demonstrators available without!

If anyone knows of an OPC in the West Country or South Wales with a demonstrator Macan with no PASM please do let me know and I’ll be there in a shot to try it out!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There are times I despair that people do not read prior posts and worst still cannot be bothered to undertake any kind of research to back up their comments.

Anyone who thinks that PASM is just purely to make the car handle better is utterly and completely wrong.

PASM works continuously and as such it reacts almost instantaneously to changes in road surfaces to maintain the balance of the car.

Conversely conventional springs and dampers will not react well to uneven road surfaces, the balance of the car will be affected in what feels like skips, thumps and judder as the suspension fails to react to the road surface changes.

21” wheels and no PASM will give a harsh ride similar to a Beamer with M suspension and run flats.

Been there and actually driven an S with such a setup, it was not nice at all.

A no PASM Macan may very well feel great to you but it is not giving you the best quality of ride that a Macan can, no PASM is a compromise setup.

Perhaps if in doubt you should ask the question as to why the GTS and Turbos have PASM as a standard fitment.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col having had a Cayman on 20” wheels without PASM I probably would never buy another Porsche without PASM. However it very much depends on intended use and roads travelled etc.

For someone using the car for driving mostly in the city I think 19” wheels without PASM is probably the right choice given they are unlikely to average more than 20 mph and the higher sidewall will protect against kerbing.

Agree that PASM is not just about spirited driving and the difference between PASM and non PASM cars on a broken surface is night and day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
goron59

Post by goron59 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm If you have air suspension does the air setting get logged to the key also? I don't think so. PASM modes yes. Low level is remembered anyway. Terrain level is a funny one because it can't be used above certain speeds and for safety reasons, should never be used on normal roads.
Not sure if it's comfort access/key related, but my car ('16 turbo with air) remembers the ride height mode for each PASM setting.
By default, it's normal for normal and low for sport and sport plus.
I have it set to low for normal and never have to change it, even after powering off/on.

Terrain mode is not really a personal setting as it turns itself off under a variety of conditions anyway.

The only time I ever changed ride height manually now is if I'm in traffic and bored ( up and down, up and down :lol: ), and very recently when I had to jack the car up and you have to disable self-levelling.
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

I went 19” wheels for the same reason as you, 18s a bit small and wanted to keep the ride to tackle our terrible roads. I pondered pasm and in hindsight glad I saved my money. Having driven a few Macan with pasm it does stiffen things up which is great if you are playing around on a nice B road, but for general day to day driving I don’t think I need pasm. I don’t get chance to drive my Macan properly if you know what I mean. A quick blast around a roundabout joining the motorway and that’s about it. For my driving it would be rare for me to what to stiffen things up that often. As far as softening things up it does a little but certainly not a necessity, not on19s anyway. I can’t see a second hand car with pasm being worth that much more, maybe £200. Reliabity didn’t enter my head, I don’t think this is an issue. I came from a BMW X3 on small 17s so I like a sofish ride.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

As is often said 'no option is a neccesity', but for me, PASM is high on my option list, above a Pano roof and Sports exhaust. We like comfort and PASM helps. We have Air on the Panamera with 20" wheels, and it was also on Macan No 2 with 19" wheels, both gave a sublime smooth ride. I'll be looking for another Macan within the year, and would want at least PASM.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16