19 Wheels + PASM - is it a necessity! !

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SPL

Post by SPL »

Hi all, I have 2500 miles on the clock. My Macan has 21" wheels on standard suspension. I think the combination 8 perfect. No need for PASM or air.

Thumbs Up
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html

Gleneagles

Post by Gleneagles »

Do none of you read the recommended by Porsche on the configurator??
It doesn't mention size of wheels at all for recommendation, but when you get to suspension, alarm bells start ringing, that you NEED PASM & AIR!!!!
Personally I am thinking of going with PASM and 20" wheels for a softer ride generally, as I am so fed up with rock hard tyres and suspension from BMW M Sport!
Macan S Diesel on order May 13th 2014
www.porsche-code.com/PFUPJFF9
Delivered 29/04/2015
Spud

Post by Spud »

Gleneagles have to say I am very happy with that combination , I find the ride very comfortable and certainly not hard, one thing that has struck me is there was a comment on a thread that said they felt the car was not a motorway cruiser, I have found it to be the total opposite it really cruises well. The only reason i did not have the 21" wheels was the AS tyres, I feel I have made the right choiceSpud2015-01-10 13:05:34
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
SPL

Post by SPL »

Re the wheels - Porsche says...

With the wheels.. From Porsche web site..

Wheels

For the wheels, too, everything revolves around sporty performance - and style. Accordingly, the Macan serves up some impressive numbers: the wheels look exceptionally large, with optional sizes up to 21 inches.

"

and from the Teqequipment brochure..
"
[1] 21-inch Sport Classic wheels with
summer tyres
These forged one-piece alloy wheels with
five-spoke Sport Classic design are
intimately associated with the history of
the 911. Their appearance pays homage
to the historic Fuchs wheel, which was
used for the first time in 1966 on the
Porsche 911 S. Made from forged
aluminium, these wheels are both light
and resilient. Their low weight helps to
reduce unsprung masses, which increases
ride comfort and improves agility. Not
only do they offer optimum dynamic
performance, they feature a GT Silver
Metallic paint finish with a high-gloss
polished outer edge for an equally
dynamic appearance."

"

Therefore, for me, 21" and no PASM / Air required. Buying the 21" wheels therefore kills two birds with one stone and saves me money.

SPL2015-01-10 13:17:54
jamacan

Post by jamacan »

Hi SPL
I took that to mean that the 21" are low weight and therefore increase ride comfort and agility compared to heavier 21" (in other cars) but still much harsher ride than18" or 19" in the Macan. Have I got that wrong?
Factor in the the added cost, increased chance of damage and no winter tires, I've decided that at nearly 50 I'm too old to look cool in a car with 21 inch wheels
I'm sticking with 18 inch and no PASM/air
Macan S Petrol ordered June 2014, build date 8 July 2015, collected 25 July 2015
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGJ1GY70
SPL

Post by SPL »

Hi SPL
I took that to mean that the 21" are low weight and therefore increase ride comfort and agility compared to heavier 21" (in other cars) but still much harsher ride than18" or 19" in the Macan. Have I got that wrong?
Factor in the the added cost, increased chance of damage and no winter tires, I've decided that at nearly 50 I'm too old to look cool in a car with 21 inch wheels
I'm sticking with 18 inch and no PASM/air

Good point comparing to heavier 21" on other cars but I thought more compared to 18/19". It doesn't say.

You are correct for sure having an increase chance of damage to both wheel.. and tyre!

I need anything to help me look cool! LOLCool

P.S I would like to know the weight of all the options!

SPL2015-01-10 14:29:53
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Do none of you read the recommended by Porsche on the configurator??
It doesn't mention size of wheels at all for recommendation, but when you get to suspension, alarm bells start ringing, that you NEED PASM & AIR!!!!
Personally I am thinking of going with PASM and 20" wheels for a softer ride generally, as I am so fed up with rock hard tyres and suspension from BMW M Sport!

I have 20 RS alloys without PASM but with AS tyres and the ride is very comfortable. No need for PASM if you want comfort although I suspect PASM may stiffen up the suspension.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Chris s

Post by Chris s »

I have 20 RS alloys without PASM but with AS tyres and the ride is very comfortable. No need for PASM if you want comfort although I suspect PASM may stiffen up the suspension.

Mark - Do you get any body role if you push your car really hard around and off a traffic island or through a series of bends. ???
bompey

Post by bompey »

I have PASM on 20s which was standard as I have a turbo, but I would order PASM when ordering my second Macan if it wasnt standard. I drive in normal/comfort mode most of the time but when in sport mode the car changes character and is much sportier to drive. I don't use it often but it is a Porsche and to my mind PASM fits with the Porsche ethos.

That said I don't have Launch Control but don't miss it. You must need to drive like a lunatic to ever need it!

Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

There are some good opinions coming out, and some good combinations also.
I have plenty of time to decide whether or not to include PASM, although I'm fairly sure I'm going to stick with the 19" wheels, it just seems a good compromise between looks and comfort while having more tyre options, particularly AS ones.
I just wish there was a broader spec on the dealers demo cars, they tend to spec them fairly similarly to show off things rather than let you try a car without something - it's hard to do the before and after test when you only have the after!
James