19 Wheels + PASM - is it a necessity! !

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
wd18

Post by wd18 »

Yeh not like my 21's, slightly kerbed on my first outing
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFXNH8P8

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I placed these on the configurator the other day, they look good on the white maybe better than the standard S version, also nice to know that others buy 18's as my roads are worse than the UK (except when a power storm hits Scotland). Macan 2L have to add a 120 gbp for the upgrade to S style.
A comparison photo:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

dereksharpuk:
Did you spec pasm as well, it was commented by others that another advantage is if the ride is softer on the 18/19 one can use the pasm sport mode to compensate.
I have not been able to test drive a car on 18's you thoughts on tyre comparison would be useful to me.
dereksharpuk

Post by dereksharpuk »

Nope, I don't have PASM. No need. I like a soft ride at my age Thumbs Up

It rides and handles a dream.
dereksharpuk2014-12-10 11:17:11
White diesel Macan, Arrived early Dec 14
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thanks, reading between the lines, contentious seems not be needed for general road use, I don't plan track days, my last car had the sport (engine response sport setting) which was enjoyable to me when I want a bit more oomph, even the brochures say Pasm is for "assertive driving and braking".
Pasm's appear to be reliable though, maybe it could help resale, perhaps those with 20-21" tyres are more assertive drivers or have tracks available!
Appreciate you replying, I still have a week or two maybe before final spec.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

So reading through all the posts here -
Did we ever get a consensus whether PASM was softer than a standard car without it when in comfort?
Is it worth paying for if your not hounding your car regularly?
Does anyone have back to back experience of cars with/without PASM, and on what wheels?
Is there any facility to ask Porsche this type of question?
James
s200ajs

Post by s200ajs »

I had a test drive on a Macan Diesel S in December with PASM and air suspension on 21 inch wheels. Very soon in to the test drive I commented that the suspension felt quite soft. The Porsche sales lady changed the PASM option to a stiffer mode and it felt really good with a good balance of comfort and handling, I asked for the air suspension to be switch off and on at various points and could not notice much difference.

My conclusion, and what I have on order, is PASM with 19inch Macan Turbo wheels. For me it strikes the right balance between looks (the 18 are a little too small in looks) but have enough rubber to reduce curbing and pot hole issues.

I suspect comfort mode is more for US and probably good for UK motorways but most of the time I will have it set a bit stiffer. Air would probably help under high speed cornering and towing but IMHO adds a lot of cost and complexity that can go wrong in the longer term. I have a large boat I tow and a caravan but still won't be going for air.
Macan Diesel S
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I don't think it is possible to "switch off" the air suspension. Perhaps she switched between low and normal ride height? If so, it's good that their was no noticeable difference in feel.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
s200ajs

Post by s200ajs »

Good point, I think you are right that air was still on especially when reading the manual. Before I finislise my spec I will be asking to test drive a Macan with no air to be sure.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-macan/11/221-30628/Air-suspension
Macan Diesel S
wd18

Post by wd18 »

Hi all, I have 2500 miles on the clock. My Macan has 21" wheels on standard suspension. I think the combination 8 perfect. No need for PASM or air.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFXNH8P8