Some official Porsche Macan 2023 EV pictures released

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:55 am
RAA wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am So, you buy an electric car; you plan your journey, but the range is over-stated and you run out of power in the middle of nowhere - how can anyone help you ? You can't hitch a lift to the nearest petrol station to fill up a can; the AA and RAC can't come out to boost your batteries; you can't push the car anywhere - what do you do ?
It's not a problem anyone should have to face. Any half-decent electric car will give you plenty of warning about your range vs destination. But the answer would be to simply call the AA/RAC and get it towed to the nearest charging point. In 4 years of electric car ownership I've never come remotely close to running out of power on the road. But I've had many close calls with petrol/diesel running on fumes!
Are not the Rac/AA vehicles eventually going to carry battery from which to change stranded vehicles like they carry a cans of fuel?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

pmg

Post by pmg »

Papeto wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:28 am
bompey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm It also mentions new ICE. Does anyone have a clue what will turn up?

Flexibility for the future: another new Macan with a combustion engine
The market launch of the all-electric Macan – the first Porsche to be built on the Pre- mium Platform Electric (PPE) – is planned for 2023. Porsche is positioning itself flexibly for the transition to pure electromobility. “In Europe, demand for electric vehicles con- tinues to rise, but the pace of change varies considerably across the world. That’s why we’re going to launch another conventionally powered successor to the current Macan in the course of 2021,” says Michael Steiner. The new combustion-engined Macan models will be offered alongside the all-electric Macan in the future. Until then, how- ever, it still has millions of test kilometres to cover – both in real life and virtually
Here is an article that quotes the Porsche R&D board member on the updated ICE model - “ a number of changes in and out” so maybe more substantive than previously thought. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022 ... can-debut/
One possibility is Matrix lights become an option. Porsche are well behind other mid-size SUV's here at present. I would be split between retaining my current vehicle due to liking the current central buttons over what is rumoured and moving to revised to gain matrix lights which I do miss having had them before

The power increases are interesting. I wonder whether the S will get the current GTS engine and the GTS the current turbo power so in sense the new GTS becomes equivalent to a gen 1 Turbo PP. By all accounts, the price gap between the S and GTS is due to increase which may make the new GTS a less attractive financial deal but making it a more direct competitor with the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio matching its level of performance
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

pmg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 pm
RAA wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am So, you buy an electric car; you plan your journey, but the range is over-stated and you run out of power in the middle of nowhere - how can anyone help you ? You can't hitch a lift to the nearest petrol station to fill up a can; the AA and RAC can't come out to boost your batteries; you can't push the car anywhere - what do you do ?
It's not a problem anyone should have to face. Any half-decent electric car will give you plenty of warning about your range vs destination. But the answer would be to simply call the AA/RAC and get it towed to the nearest charging point. In 4 years of electric car ownership I've never come remotely close to running out of power on the road. But I've had many close calls with petrol/diesel running on fumes!
Are not the Rac/AA vehicles eventually going to carry battery from which to change stranded vehicles like they carry a cans of fuel?
I don't think that would be practical given how much charging power would be required to provide any meaningful range in a sensible time. Be easier/quicker just to tow the car to the nearest charger.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Pretty sure aa or rac just charge the battery via a generator on board their vans. Give you enough to get you to a local charging station.
Or as said above, use your haed and make sure there's plenty of charge before you set off.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
RAA

Post by RAA »

Oh - I didn't realise than an electric car could be towed - can it be put into 'neutral' or the equivalent, so the motor is disengaged ?
pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm Pretty sure aa or rac just charge the battery via a generator on board their vans. Give you enough to get you to a local charging station.
Or as said above, use your haed and make sure there's plenty of charge before you set off.
Yes, I had read somewhere they were adopting their vans to cope, agree a generator makes more sense. i assume eventually there have electric vans themselves so a transfer could be from their own large battery
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am
Rarecolour wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm Pretty sure aa or rac just charge the battery via a generator on board their vans. Give you enough to get you to a local charging station.
Yes, I had read somewhere they were adopting their vans to cope, agree a generator makes more sense. i assume eventually there have electric vans themselves so a transfer could be from their own large battery
Those generators are only designed to provide a minimal charge to give a few miles range. Useful in an urban setting, but not middle of nowhere. AA just say they will flatbed it to the nearest charge point. It’s not really a major problem.
Deleted User 1874

RAA wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am
Oh - I didn't realise than an electric car could be towed - can it be put into 'neutral' or the equivalent, so the motor is disengaged ?
Yes you can put them in neutral and roll them no problem.

If you did realise you were going to run the battery flat, miles from the nearest charger, then you would simply park up with a few percent charge remaining, with the car still fully functional. It would be foolish to actually run it completely flat. It’s not like having a vague fuel level sensor. You always know exactly what percentage battery is remaining, regardless of range.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

The issue I have, and I am sure many others have, is not range anxiety but refueling anxiety. I suggested to CAR magazine about four years ago that manufacturers need a) standard charging cables to fit all vehicles and b) to invest in battery swap stations minimising the time taken off the road. The Chinese must have been reading that because a company called NIO do just that. They have battery swap stations on major routes, the actual battery swap is done via robots. It takes from 10-20 minutes and away you go. At the pace we move come 2040 we may have one station somewhere in Mayfair.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 1874

The Nio battery swap idea is interesting, but I’m not convinced it’s really necessary as an alternative to rapid charging. Battery as a service has other advantages though. It reduces the up-front cost of the vehicle and removes any concerns over long term battery degradation. Tesla nearly went down the battery swap route back in 2015 and then decided to invest more in Superchargers instead. Their latest V3 chargers are now up to 250kW, which can add 150 miles range in 11 minutes.

Charging plugs have now pretty much standardised across Europe with the CCS standard. There are various plug adapters you can use for older chargers. It’s not really a problem.