Some official Porsche Macan 2023 EV pictures released

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Peteski wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm
pmg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am
Rarecolour wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm Pretty sure aa or rac just charge the battery via a generator on board their vans. Give you enough to get you to a local charging station.
Or as said above, use your haed and make sure there's plenty of charge before you set off.
Yes, I had read somewhere they were adopting their vans to cope, agree a generator makes more sense. i assume eventually there have electric vans themselves so a transfer could be from their own large battery
Those generators are only designed to provide a minimal charge to give a few miles range. Useful in an urban setting, but not middle of nowhere. AA just say they will flatbed it to the nearest charge point. It’s not really a major problem.
If you run out of battery in the middle of nowhere then you deserve to be left stranded. Would be like going out with 20 mile of fuel into the Highlands of Scotland, brainless.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)

pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 am
pmg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am

Yes, I had read somewhere they were adopting their vans to cope, agree a generator makes more sense. i assume eventually there have electric vans themselves so a transfer could be from their own large battery
Those generators are only designed to provide a minimal charge to give a few miles range. Useful in an urban setting, but not middle of nowhere. AA just say they will flatbed it to the nearest charge point. It’s not really a major problem.
If you run out of battery in the middle of nowhere then you deserve to be left stranded. Would be like going out with 20 mile of fuel into the Highlands of Scotland, brainless.
What about if you run out of power by sitting on a motorway in a jam caused by a crash and a police holdup and having the heater on because it is minus 7 deg C outside?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

^^^^^ The same scenario could equally apply to a petrol or diesel fuelled vehicle if you were already low on fuel!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

pmg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 am

What about if you run out of power by sitting on a motorway in a jam caused by a crash and a police holdup and having the heater on because it is minus 7 deg C outside?
Minus 7, then you should carry a coat with you and make sure the car has plenty of charge in the car before you drive anywhere. Simples.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

My wife's electric golf can sit for several hours, switched on wth the heater running and seems to decrease the range by a tiny amount. I would have no worries about being held up on a cold wintry motorway.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

You can run the heater for about 9 hours per 10% battery consumption on my car. Even has a dedicated “camping” mode. So let’s say I got stranded with 50% battery charge, I could live in the car for about 2 days before running out of charge. So this is not a problem and actually an inherent advantage of electric cars over ICE.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Peteski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm

You can run the heater for about 9 hours per 10% battery consumption on my car. Even has a dedicated “camping” mode. So let’s say I got stranded with 50% battery charge, I could live in the car for about 2 days before running out of charge. So this is not a problem and actually an inherent advantage of electric cars over ICE.
That's impressive. Not sure why ICE cars don't adopt the same heating system.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rarecolour wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm

That's impressive. Not sure why ICE cars don't adopt the same heating system.
It's because ICE cars use exhaust heat to warm the cabin, while EVs have a massive battery and a heat pump (some have a less efficient conventional electric heater) to provide cabin heating. Running an ICE while sat stationary in traffic just to provide cabin heating is pretty inefficient, although they will typically run for 12 hours or more on a full tank of fuel. But it's not uncommon for ICE vehicles to run out of fuel while stranded in multi-hour winter traffic jams. I would say it's much less likely to happen in an EV as you generally never plan to run the battery down below 20% charge. So worse case scenario you could heat the car for up to 18 hours, depending on battery size. Smaller battery cars would be more at risk. But really this is all highly unlikely edge case stuff where you would be getting rescued anyway at some point if things got that bad.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

ICE cars use exhaust heat? :shock:
That would be interesting if they did.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:54 am ICE cars use exhaust heat? :shock:
That would be interesting if they did.

DSC_1200.JPG

My ICE car definitely uses exhaust heat to provide cabin heat.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5