20 Wheels PASM- is it a necessity?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ECAM

Post by ECAM »

A shameless rip off from JDMacan's thread!

I've currently got 20s and PASM and the ride is absolutely fine. I'm now fiddling with the configurator on a daily basis (as you do), and wondered if I really need the PASM or if I can buy different goodies instead.

Has anyone got (or driven) 20s or 21s without PASM?

Triple7

Post by Triple7 »

Try before you buy. Are you really going to take someone's own personal opinion about this!
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
Ordered: 2019 992 C4S in Jet Black.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!
Ger

Post by Ger »

Try before you buy. Are you really going to take someone's own personal opinion about this!

+1. Nothing is 'a necessity', it's all relative and personal to you. If you already like the ride with PASM, why risk changing it? Not that it's of much significance, but not sure I personally would buy a Porsche without PASM, new or second hand. It just seems that a Porsche should have it to me, I don't know why? Do you have your eye on a different option you are wanting to use the cost on? Oh these decisions!
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

As above. However my test drive was in a Macan with 20" wheels and PASM and liked the ride so chose to add it to my build. I've not tried a car without it so can't say if it was a good decision from a comparative perspective.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

The standard suspension with 20" RS Spyders is fine. I suspect PASM will stiffen things up a bit in Sport and very stiff in Sport plus. On a day to day basis I am fine with the standard suspension. It's really odd that Boxster and Cayman owners used to spec PASM in order to get a more comfortable ride on bigger wheels and now Macan owners seem to spec PASM in order to get a stiffer suspension.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
ECAM

Post by ECAM »

Not if they don't have a tray table in their place of work.

You're right though, I wouldn't make a big spec choice like that without trying it first. Just good to hear others views in case I can look at reallocating the funds elsewhere!
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Not if they don't have a tray table in their place of work.

What's wrong with a firm pair of knees?
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
ECAM

Post by ECAM »

Everything when you're trying to eat your tea, read christophorus and play with the Macan configurator on your iPad!
Triple7

Post by Triple7 »

Not if they don't have a tray table in their place of work. !

Man, that hurts!

In which case, go no PASM and tiny 16's. It'll look and drive brilliant, honest!
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
Ordered: 2019 992 C4S in Jet Black.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!
Mutt & Jeff

Post by Mutt & Jeff »

My car will have Spyders and no PASM so I'll be able to tell you when/if it turns up.
I like a firm ride though and only liked the demo in Sport mode (on 18's)..and even then felt it was a bit soft. I was told that standard dampers are between normal and sport PASM settings so hope that 20's will give me the extra stiffness I want.
My Other Car's A SKODA!