Should I buy a diesel ??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Although I had a SD, it never sat well with me that a sports car manufacturer, such as Porsche, had a diesel in their range.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

It’s not a sports car, it’s an SUV which is very suited to the Diesel engine.
I tried the 2 litre petrol and the 3 litre S petrol before I bought the diesel, diesel just seemed to be a better fit for a family SUV with no disadvantages over the petrol equivalent as far as I could see.
My journeys are mostly short at around 30mpg, but on the motorway at cruising speeds it’ll do 44mpg.

Go for it.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

My 6 year old SD is going better than ever. A year ago I saw 50mpg showing, driving carefully over a distance. 48000 miles showing now. It would be hard to replace this car with something I like so much. I have had all software updates carried out and it goes like a rocket when I need it to.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

IMG_20210926_092723 (1).jpg

Agree they get better with age,
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

[quote)
My 6 year old SD is going better than ever. A year ago I saw 50mpg showing, driving carefully over a distance. 48000 miles showing now. It would be hard to replace this car with something I like so much. I have had all software updates carried out and it goes like a rocket when I need it to.
[/quote]

I'm in the same position, 2015 SD which I've owned since new. Really don't know what I would replace it with, it just does everything so well.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Macanboy

Post by Macanboy »

Just done 1000 km on Fr autoroutes in a SD i picked up last week from a OPC ( approved etc ) with 55 K on the clock .
41 mpg first 380 miles in the U.K. .39 mpg cracking on in Fr 80-90 mph .
Not complaining.

As far as the Greta argument.
Well it’s got a DPF and add blue so in the rear view mirror school kids do NOT drop dead when we pass a school.😀.
V5 says 161 gms .Petrols iirc are higher .
So let me get this straight ( welcome corrections btw ) VAG in 2017 binned the lowest gms midal ? Which uses less of the earth’s resources.What have I missed ?
Furthermore I can’t stop laughing all the way to the bank at fuel fill ups .

Oh from a driving perspective , sorry guys for a moment i forgot it’s a Porsche ….the superior torque of SD blows any petrol,into the weeds .

For Christ sake a 2.0 Petrol from a golf GTI ….plessssssse tell me that’s not really happening…..?
His Boxster 987.2 + Ferrari GT4 .
Hers Macan SD
Previous pork = Cayenne S , 968 CS , 911 , even a 924 !
Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari 360
6 Range rovers full fat + various Mercs + BImmers .
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Macanboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 pm
For Christ sake a 2.0 Petrol from a golf GTI ….plessssssse tell me that’s not really happening…..?
It’s been happening for a while. There are Golf GatI variants with more power than the Macan and plenty of tuned GTIs with 400bhp or more. Porsche must maintain their model hierarchy though
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As it is the SD makes a great buy as long as it does not suffer any DPF issues, so as a school run and shopping trolley second car that is where DPF issues are likely to occur.

On the move engine in Sport mode gives the better drive, comfort mode is best left for motorway cruising.

I found in every SD that driving in comfort mode does have a very noticeable lag as you floor the go pedal before anything happens, then it takes off like a scalded cat, there is no such issue with Sport mode.

Superior torque of the SD only works to get it moving and then it plateau’s, so sorry Macanboy but your statement about blowing off any petrol is factually incorrect, it may well get off the line faster than my Turbo but by the time sixty mph is showing the Turbo will be twenty meters ahead and disappearing into the distance.

It was the dynamics of the SD engine that I did not like, a BMW with their 35D engine will blow the socks off a Macan SD and it is the BMW engines power and torque that should have been replicated in the SD, if it had I would be driving an SD.

As it was I drove to the OPC in an X4 35D, then took out a Macan SD and drove back home sixty miles away in the X4. Hence back to back drives and the Beamer engine’s vastly superior performance was so readily noticeable, the X4 handled like a tank and was no where near as comfy or rode as well as the Macan, but it was a close call as to which I bought.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

each to there own as all macans will get you in trouble with the law! as to any lag, a simple mod on the air box will sort it out and you can still enjoy the good MPG
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

As Diesel engines go, the one in the Macan is super ordinary bordering on poor. Low power compared with just about any other 3.0l in a premium car, coupled with this issue of not being able to do lots of short journeys.
BM and Jag engines blow it away as big oil burners.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0