Should I buy a diesel ??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mickmichael

Post by mickmichael »

Hi

There seems to be quite a few 2016/18 diesel S's available and they also seem a good bit cheaper than petrol. I don't really want to spend 40-50k for a petrol. Is there that much difference when driving, say between the petrol and diesel??

Budget up to 40k.

Mike

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

When the cars were first launched I drove an 'S' first and some time later the 'S D'. I much preferred the latter, mainly due to the ride (I think the 'S' was on 21 inch wheels without air).

Ergo the diesel is good, but I personally wouldn't buy any diesel these days as they are being demonised. As important is to get the spec that suits you
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I has an SD for a couple of years and now have an 'S' with air suspension. Depending on what you mean by 'driving' really. The torque in the mis range in the SD is great, easy overtaking and cruising is a doddle. Of course , filling up is messy and you have to refill the adblue also. The petrol handles much better and feels to be lighter at the front but that may be down to suspension changes for then 2019 facelift. Of the two, I would say the petrol 'S' is more fun and more comfortable to drive but obviously not as economical as the SD. I saw 40mpg on a long trip with the SD, pre-covid but 35mpg was more of an average. If you do the miles then a diesel makes sense but I have a sneaky feeling that this Government in an effort to look 'Green' will hammer diesel vehicles with a Climate tax or some such bollocks, petrol too but Diesel is the demon fuel. Usual caveats apply when buying, full OPC service history is a must.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I bought my SD new in 2015 and have no regrets. I wonder if Porsche were a bit premature in stopping the diesel engine for this car because it's a great match. I keep on thinking the fuel suppliers will come up with some kind of "cure" so that this fuel can be much cleaner. Anyway my car, if driven with economy in mind, can show about 680 miles "available" but if I am in a hurry then it goes like a bat out of hell.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If you are driving mainly around town and short journeys the petrol would be best.

If you have a decent commute or do longer journeys I would go for the diesel. With a range of 500 to 700 miles it is a brilliant machine.
happy days

Post by happy days »

They really are fine cars. Our SD has about 86k on it from new. I wouldn't worry about the government demonising diesels - they can't really do much about what exists already and there would probably be uproar if they decided to over tax existing diesels. New ones, yes, but not existing ones.
Macan S D
718 S
Stormin

Post by Stormin »

Hi Mike, I wouldn’t have too much of a worry. It very much depends on your purpose and your driving style. I test drove both when we were purchasing ours and actually preferred the more relaxed driving style of the diesel and the mid range torque, not to say the economy. Not that you buy a Porsche for economy!! All fossil fuels are to be demonised and the Euro 6 diesel is as good as it gets. I too think Porsche were too hasty in dropping the diesel and probably regret it as it was their biggest seller, by a country mile.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I had a SD and regularly got 500 miles out of the tank without being overly careful about my driving style.
I wanted a petrol but was doing a lot of miles at the time, so diesel was the better option.

However, I hated filling it up, diesel is dirty and smelly, and the floor around the pumps always seem to have spillage which ends up on your shoes and is difficult to remove.

I ended up wearing those plastic slip on shoe protectors and, as well as the plastic gloves, looked like someone about to go into Chernobyl each time I wanted to fill up :)

I wouldn't buy another diesel car.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Little Urchin

Post by Little Urchin »

Disregarding the different power/torque delivery characteristics of diesel and petrol engines,
One consideration when deciding between petrol or diesel is the type of journies you will be undertaking.
Diesel (fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF) need regular long runs, some of which must be at high engine speed to clean (regenerate) the filter. Consequently, they are not as suitable as petrol for mostly short, local journeys.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Chilgrove wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:27 am I bought my SD new in 2015 and have no regrets. I wonder if Porsche were a bit premature in stopping the diesel engine for this car because it's a great match. I keep on thinking the fuel suppliers will come up with some kind of "cure" so that this fuel can be much cleaner. Anyway my car, if driven with economy in mind, can show about 680 miles "available" but if I am in a hurry then it goes like a bat out of hell.
+1.

My only word of caution is don't buy a diesel if your intended usage is mainly short runs. That carries a risk of Diesel Particulate Filter issues.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel