Car Theft

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Someone recently created a 'Neighbourhood' website for my neighbourhood which I joined a couple of weeks back, I have been surprised to see several reports of cars being stolen from the road outside their house. I know from previous reading that keyless entry cars are easily cloned and stolen but I presumed that short of lifting it onto a flat back lorry, without the keys they cannot steel my car. Am I right or wrong?

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

If criminals can clone a key then they can open the car and start it and drive it away.

Some models and manufacturers are more secure than others. I don't know where the Macan sits though this suggests it is good:

https://press.porsche.co.uk/prod/presse ... nid=958305

Of course it's not an issue if you don't have keyless entry/start
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

We have cameras around the house and have spotted ‘opportunist’ thieves trying car doors and home front doors!
Police advice was:
1. Keep ‘keyless’ car keys away from front door/windows to hinder ‘laptop relay theft’ and/or place in metal tin.
2. Cover car if possible.
3. Home lights on - Hive etc, Ring Floodlight Camera. We have these and a ‘PANIC’ 130 decibel (VERY LOUD) alarm fire horn fitted on house linked to phone.(borderline legality 😏)
4. Locked home windows, composite front door.
5. MOST FRIGHTENING - Dedicated thieves WILL get your car! They will break in and take keys. Choice is either, leave them downstairs so they can take them and your car without going upstairs ( just burglary) OR be prepared for a home invasion nightmare scenario! (Aggravated Burglary - carries a longer sentence) We leave them downstairs now! It’s just a car 😳
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I recall a freind who bought a brand new Ford Sierra Cosworth. He had the very latest state of the art sophosticated alarm fitted to it, back in the day.

A few weeks on and they went to the theatre in a local city. When they got back, a thief sprang out and, weilding a monkey wrench, demainded the keys and alarm fob. Needless to say they handed them over. The car was never recovered :twisted: :?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am Someone recently created a 'Neighbourhood' website for my neighbourhood which I joined a couple of weeks back, I have been surprised to see several reports of cars being stolen from the road outside their house. I know from previous reading that keyless entry cars are easily cloned and stolen but I presumed that short of lifting it onto a flat back lorry, without the keys they cannot steel my car. Am I right or wrong?
Read this - https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... car-crime/

Check with your OPC whether your key switches off when at rest (current ones do, older ones didn’t I think but don’t know when they were changed).
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Fairynuff wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am Someone recently created a 'Neighbourhood' website for my neighbourhood which I joined a couple of weeks back, I have been surprised to see several reports of cars being stolen from the road outside their house. I know from previous reading that keyless entry cars are easily cloned and stolen but I presumed that short of lifting it onto a flat back lorry, without the keys they cannot steel my car. Am I right or wrong?
The key will turn off after it’s left inactive for 30 minutes. During that period your key can be cloned. Keyless entry is rubbish. It’s funny it’s a £455 option infact.

Buy a Faraday pouch if you have keyless entry.

This article will explain the principle of motion sensor keyless entry.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.driv ... perts/amp/
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Keep all our car keys, including the spares, in faraday pouches.

Ultimately if someone wants to nick you car they will. Frankly, at the moment, I think having your catalytic converter nicked is a bigger problem.
ianst

Post by ianst »

Keyless entry cars are easily stolen by relay attack, that is why i would never spec it.

MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

I have mine semi Keyless. When keys are in the house, i have a faraday box and pouch. The keyless "dummy key" in the car - i have removed - so even if they clone, they need a key to turn on ignition.
There so much you can do - at the end of day - thats what insurance and GAP is for - peace of mind.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
V8max

Post by V8max »

B737NGWS wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 am We have these and a ‘PANIC’ 130 decibel (VERY LOUD) alarm fire horn fitted on house linked to phone.)
This sounds very interesting. Do you have a link or more info please? PM if you prefer.
Thank you