Anyone placed an order without test driving?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Has anyone done this with the Macan (or any other car?)

Some of my friends/work colleagues have really vouched for the Macan and the way it drives and the OPC (Silverstone) had nothing available for test drive. I had sat in a 69 plate Macan Turbo when I was onsite and found it very comfy and welcoming but that is about it.

I was just thinking lead times on the build meaning there will be a long stretch before receiving one. Or would it be better playing the game of patience and look at other SUVs in the meantime. I had been considering the GLC63s, SQ5 and X3M. The latter is off as I've had feedback that the drive/suspension is horrific; SQ5 (more specifically the Q5) I had test drove before I bought the S5 sportback and I like it but dont love it as I feel something missing with the Audis. Had a BMW 420d previous to that and I felt that was more enjoyable to drive despite the difference in power
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I have had a Boxster, Macan SD and have an order in for a Macan GTS and I did not test drive any of them.

Neither did I test drive any of the company cars I have had. The only car I regretted was a Lexus CT200.
It was the first, and only, hybrid car I've had and it was awful, although build quality was excellent.

With every car I've had, I have always done a lo t of research and bought on the principle that if the majority of people are satisfied, then I'm likely to be satisfied too.
That has been the case with the exception of the Lexus.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I did place my Macan order (February 2014) without a test drive as this was before the launch. (But later got a test drive)

As long as I can sit in a vehicle I am happy to buy it. Something like the Macan is not going to be "bad" to drive.

Ideally though I would take a quick drive :D
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Thanks for sharing! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being a dumba$$ for considering placing an order before I've had a chance to drive the Macan. I dont think I would be confident on doing this with other brands
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I bought my Macan S unseen and without a test drive during the last lockdown, just saw a few photos from the OPC, however, I had test driven a 2.0 litre Macan at my local OPC after the 1st lockdown, so at least I had an idea of how one drove, and whether I liked it or not!

I’m pleased to say that my ‘S’ was in excellent condition when I collected it, and I’m very happy that I went for the 3.0 litre engine! 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
andy b

Post by andy b »

Sat in one at local Porsche dealership, but not driven one. Order placed a few weeks ago, so you are not alone! :shock:
Gen3 GTS - MY2022
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

You are on safe ground!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

test drives are a little overrated, especially Porsche ones because the seem a little stingy on how long you can have the car for. Officially my OPC said their test drives are 30 mins, although they let me keep it for an hour. Many other car dealers let you have the car for a day or a weekend. You can form an opinion in half an hour, but if you drive a lot you really need to have it a bit longer than that. Ideally I'd like to make sure it fits on my drive but the OPC is 45 mins from me each way, so that isn't going to happen.

So no, I don't think its a silly idea to buy without trying. I'd definitely do a lot of internet research though and see what people say. I have seen VERY FEW reviews of the Macan where the reviewers haven't absolutely loved it. The only thing I would suggest though is to have a look at colours, wheels and interior trim on a real car if possible. Internet pictures can vary wildly depending on how they have been processed. This is why the Papaya colour looks very orange in some videos/pictures and very brown in others.
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy b

Post by andy b »

Thanks for the re-assurance Neil! :D
Gen3 GTS - MY2022
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

I guess the value behind this forum is to get a realistic representation of Macan ownership outside of any OPC views. I know the colours I would opt for but looking through forum threads now I am wrestling with what options are the ones to go for!

Another question.....assuming you are looking a PCP to fund the car, at what point is this agreed upon? At time of placing the order or nearer the time when car is near delivery?