Anyone placed an order without test driving?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

One of the reasons I did not buy a Macan in 2014, my last but one car change was that the Macan had only just been announced, Hence non-available for a test drive and I was not prepared to spend that amount of money without a drive. In 2018 when I was looking to order my next car, I solved the issue of the local OPC's not having demo cars of the rough suspension /engine spec I was interested in by test driving S/h ones that were for sale. That meant I had only driven Ia "Gen I" but ended buying a "Gen II" but the drive of a "Gen I" confirmed I would be happy with 18 ways seats, 20 wheels and air suspension.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Yep, I ordered one without ever sitting/ seeing inside one.
Brilliant car imo.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Sat in one - not driven ...
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

martinto8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm I guess the value behind this forum is to get a realistic representation of Macan ownership outside of any OPC views. I know the colours I would opt for but looking through forum threads now I am wrestling with what options are the ones to go for!

Another question.....assuming you are looking a PCP to fund the car, at what point is this agreed upon? At time of placing the order or nearer the time when car is near delivery?
Ordered the car and paid a £3k deposit there and then. 2 weeks later I got a build date for Oct and did the PCP credit check and have been asked to pay the rest of the initial deposit ( 10% of the value of the order ). Then there’s nowt to do until you car physically turns up in the show room. At that point you pay the remainder of the agreed PCP deposit and take your car home.

So I believe the PCP credit check is done when they have a build slot. That means the PCP is all good to go, you just need to sign the actual paperwork when the car arrives.

If anyone is interested the PCP credit check took less than 30 seconds and is based mainly on how long you have worked at the same company or lived in the same house.
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm
martinto8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm I guess the value behind this forum is to get a realistic representation of Macan ownership outside of any OPC views. I know the colours I would opt for but looking through forum threads now I am wrestling with what options are the ones to go for!

Another question.....assuming you are looking a PCP to fund the car, at what point is this agreed upon? At time of placing the order or nearer the time when car is near delivery?
Ordered the car and paid a £3k deposit there and then. 2 weeks later I got a build date for Oct and did the PCP credit check and have been asked to pay the rest of the initial deposit ( 10% of the value of the order ). Then there’s nowt to do until you car physically turns up in the show room. At that point you pay the remainder of the agreed PCP deposit and take your car home.

So I believe the PCP credit check is done when they have a build slot. That means the PCP is all good to go, you just need to sign the actual paperwork when the car arrives.

If anyone is interested the PCP credit check took less than 30 seconds and is based mainly on how long you have worked at the same company or lived in the same house.
Super! Thanks for the info! Good info for planning! Also planning to go to independent broker for PCP options. They always seems to make noise about how much better they can be vs dealer provided PCP so will see if that is true
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Got my GTS without a test driveand I've done that with a lot of cars I've bought.
Great car but ignore any chat of a "911 on stilts" -it's not.
MrBaozi

Post by MrBaozi »

Went to Porsche to test drive a Taycan (Convoy test drive. Dealer seem to want to emphasis the speed as we were consistanly hitting 3 figure speeds).

Placed an order for a saloon with the thought of changing to the CT once I had seen it in the flesh. Took the wife to see the CT once the dealer had received their demo.

Wife decided she would like either a Macan or cayenne for herself after seeing them. Placed an order for Gen 3 Macan GTS a few weeks ago.

Huge mistake taking her to Porsche as at the time I was trying to convince her to get a Mercedes GLB so we could save money :cry: :cry: :cry:
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

The one thing I’d like to do though is test drive with and without the air suspension, back to back to see the difference. My current car is very firm so I decided not to go with air because if the ride is too “wafty” it will likely make me feel a bit sick. Regular PASM already has adaptive suspension, just without air. I appreciate there’s a whole different thread there, but for test driving I think you’ll never know how air feels unless you can do a back to back drive ( and I suspect very few OPC’s will have the relevant stock to allow you to do that ).
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

If you've put your £3k deposit down, you will then get an invitation to the Porsche Driving Experience at Silverstone. Take this up before you lock down your spec. On booking a date, ask to drive Macans with the key ones you are unsure about e.g. with or without air suspension or the new GTS air variants.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 pm If you've put your £3k deposit down, you will then get an invitation to the Porsche Driving Experience at Silverstone. Take this up before you lock down your spec. On booking a date, ask to drive Macans with the key ones you are unsure about e.g. with or without air suspension or the new GTS air variants.
I did this with the 911 when it was difficult to decide between PDCC or not

Consultant found one car of each and we drove both

I ordered it with
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S