2.9 V6 Gen 3 S and GTS Engine Tuning?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Hi
Are the engines on both models exactly the same?
I'm wondering whether the extra power on the GTS is mainly due to tuning/re-mapping?
If that's the case, aren't people likely to "chip" the S?
I've seen ads which claim huge BHP and torque increases - together with improved MPG.
... Too good to be true?

I'm sure the S will be plenty powerful for me - but I do like the prospect of increased torque and MPG :-)

What do the experts think??? :-)

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

As I understand it they are exactly the same engine with different mapping.
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

There is a respectable looking company offering a 46% torque increase and 501 BHP. This does sound a bit extreme for me, but I wonder whether it could be "toned down" to just increase the torque and match the GTS BHP?
As is probably obvious, I'm no expert (or road racer), but it does seem worth exploring.
I've also seen claims of increased MPG ...
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Try running that past the OPC if there is a warranty issue..........................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

... "aye - there's the rub" :-)
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Interestingly my mini is remapped and produces more BHP and more torque ( and has a very juvenile Bluetooth exhaust system ) but it was all actually done by BMW so fully covered by the warranty. Shame Porsche do similar. I suppose the argument would be “why buy a GTS if you could spend less on an S and then have it re-mapped”, but you could argue the same with Mini. Why buy a cooper S and then have it remapped ( with the JCW Pro tuning kit ) when you could just buy a JCW? The JCW pro tuned Cooper S that I have is very nearly but not quite as quick as a JCW but has the benefit ( if you are 12 ) of sounding like a military barrage every time you change gear, but on in sport mode and only when you have set the exhaust system using the remote, and even then only when you are on a race track ( according to the disclaimer on the remote …..apparently)
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

Here is an analysis I did of the 2022 Macan S and 2021 Macan GTS off the Porsche spec sheets. Very subtle differences. Power and Torque, 280 kw/ 380 PS and 520 Nm the same. S delivers maximuim torque 100r/min higher (1,850 -5,000) vs (1,750 -5,000) for GTS. S accelation slighty faster, but the faster you go the bigger the difference. (0-100km/h 4.8s vs 4.9s, 0-160km/h 11.2s vs 11.6s and 0-200km/h 18.9s vs 19.5s). Last two is purely for academic research ;). In gear is 0.1s faster from 80km/h to 120km/h. Note these exclude Sport Chrono for both but the differences remain the same If you include it.

Also interesting the 2022 Macan S is 40mm longer and weighs 20 kgs more.
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4
pmg

Post by pmg »

Dannyp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 am Hi
Are the engines on both models exactly the same?
I'm wondering whether the extra power on the GTS is mainly due to tuning/re-mapping?
If that's the case, aren't people likely to "chip" the S?
I've seen ads which claim huge BHP and torque increases - together with improved MPG.
... Too good to be true?

I'm sure the S will be plenty powerful for me - but I do like the prospect of increased torque and MPG :-)

What do the experts think??? :-)
Nick Murray made this point on his Youtube channel when the Gen 2 GTS 1st became available. He thought in the US where tuning Macans has been more common than the UK, a lot of GTS's would be returned to the higher Turbo power when the warranty period is over.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If the current generation of Macans is the same as previous then there is a difference in the engine and gearboxes between the S and GTS.

The GTS having uprated engine and gearbox components compared to the S.

At least that is our understanding after a member here did some research quite a few years ago.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:50 pm If the current generation of Macans is the same as previous then there is a difference in the engine and gearboxes between the S and GTS.

The GTS having uprated engine and gearbox components compared to the S.

At least that is our understanding after a member here did some research quite a few years ago.
When I was looking at gearing there was some difference between the "Gen2" S and "Gen 2" GTS and turbo with both 6th and 7th being slightly higher geared in the S eg s 40 mph per 100 revs cf 35 mph per 1000 revs in GTS and Turbo. Not seen any comparable figures for Gen 3 cars so will Gen 3 S's take their gearing from the previous S or what has been chosen for the 2.9-litre engine previously. i suspect the latter would fit better.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8