Why me and why is it always the same damn wheel?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Five years in with Macan ownership and I get in the car to have the tyre low pressure warning go off.

This is the third time that I have had a puncture with the Macan’s and each time it has been to the nearside rear.

Had a good look but cannot see any nail or nick.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Have you got a tyre pressure gauge? I have the sensor go off on my mini all the time and it's always the same tyre and its never a real problem. I had that tyre changed about 2 years ago (its a rear tyre on a front wheel drive car so gets very little wear) and I think the sensor no longer works properly. It does drop a bit, only a very tiny amount and enough the set the damned alert off. I usually check it with the car pressure gauge (it shows the pressures on screen), check it with an external gauge and then just reset the sensor and its fine, until it goes off about a month later. Its never been an actual puncture.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:54 pm Five years in with Macan ownership and I get in the car to have the tyre low pressure warning go off.

This is the third time that I have had a puncture with the Macan’s and each time it has been to the nearside rear.

Had a good look but cannot see any nail or nick.
I've only ever had 1 puncture in a car, and it was this Macan, nearside rear wheel.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Deleted User 4436

I hit a pot hole, avoiding a pot hole, and got instant and catastrophic deflation. It was "suspiciously" right outside a Halfords Tyre store. I also got a nail in the tyre when the car was about 3 weeks old, so they just repaired the tyre as the nail was right in the middle.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I had a screw in my left rear on the 23rd of last month, don't recall the previous occassion so it's a good few years and at least one car ago. If there's nothing obvious it could be the sensor, confirming that with an independent gauge is a must. I've actually bought a new dial gauge (as opposed to the pencil type) as a result of this incident, mainly so I can marginally overinflate the tyre and then release pressure until it's correct using the built in release valve. I expect the rear left is most vulnerable as it's the one nearest the gutter where most detritus collects, it could also pick up bits disturbed by the front wheel, how else does the sharp end is a screw or nail penetrate.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I can answer the second question (I think). Nails, screws etc end up in the gutter because of road camber. What I've heard is the front tyre catches them and flicks them up and then it is embedded in the rear tyre.

I've had a number of punctures over the years and it always seems to be the nearside rear. In fact I've just had to replace a tyre (NSR) as it had a deep cut

Changed both rears and Kwik Fit damaged the rims on both wheels. In discussion about fixing this at their cost
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Deleted User 4436

Madelvic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:43 pm I can answer the second question (I think). Nails, screws etc end up in the gutter because of road camber. What I've heard is the front tyre catches them and flicks them up and then it is embedded in the rear tyre.

I've had a number of punctures over the years and it always seems to be the nearside rear. In fact I've just had to replace a tyre (NSR) as it had a deep cut

Changed both rears and Kwik Fit damaged the rims on both wheels. In discussion about fixing this at their cost
I hate watching tyre places dealing with expensive wheels. I usually buy tyres on line and have then fitted at a local place that sells second hand tyres. They charge £10 a wheel only only have one bloke that changes tyres and always does a good job. I did a similar thing with the Aston. AM were happy to fit tyres I bought on line, even though I bought them for less money than AM could buy them themselves. That way the car had its tyres changed at AM, so any damage would be covered (they were always brilliant to deal with) and I was still paying very low prices. I always use Camskill for my tyres.
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Not heard the nearside rear story before and the last time I had a puncture (not on the Macan) it was on the nearside rear....
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Madelvic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:43 pm I can answer the second question (I think). Nails, screws etc end up in the gutter because of road camber. What I've heard is the front tyre catches them and flicks them up and then it is embedded in the rear tyre.

I hate watching tyre places dealing with expensive wheels. I usually buy tyres on line and have then fitted at a local place that sells second hand tyres. They charge £10 a wheel only only have one bloke that changes tyres and always does a good job. I did a similar thing with the Aston. AM were happy to fit tyres I bought on line, even though I bought them for less money than AM could buy them themselves. That way the car had its tyres changed at AM, so any damage would be covered (they were always brilliant to deal with) and I was still paying very low prices. I always use Camskill for my tyres.
I've used Kwik Fit for decades and always stood over them and they've always been fine. I didn't this time and they weren't. They did match Camskill prices though.

Question is: will I use them again?
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Has anyone got experience of using Costco for tyres?
Problem with Porsche tyres is so many people don’t have them so in case of an emergency finding a replacement is not always so straightforward.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )