GTS standard sports suspension versus ‘no cost option’ of normal adaptive air suspension ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I wonder if the individual OPCs have any say in the spec of these first demonstrators. Perhaps Porsche HQ just "issue" them, especially with current option / superchip shortages.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

pmg wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 am
sd1985 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:20 am
PorscheMack wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:55 am
Strange as my OPC has deliberately opted for the non GTS suspension on their demo model 🤔
Pretty standard, nothing strange about that.
OPCs spec cars in many different ways, wouldn’t look into that at all, especially as they would not have driven or experienced any of the cars so far.

Best to go off the facts - I.e. the reviews
Reviews are written by individuals who have their own biases, past experiences and tastes. Best to go off your test drive when possible ;) ;) ;) ;)
Of course and that’s fairly obvious. Nothing beats driving it yourself.
But in the absence of us not having that option yet, it’s better to listen to those that have driven the car than the OPC who generally dont have a clue I find.
Especially as most of us here will have locked in our specs before ever having the chance to drive one.
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm I wonder if the individual OPCs have any say in the spec of these first demonstrators. Perhaps Porsche HQ just "issue" them, especially with current option / superchip shortages.
Good point
My OPC said they don’t.
They get high spec ones generally speaking, but it’s Porsche who send them out and decide spec.

However my OPC might be talking rubbish - never really get a straight answer from them tbh, and the story changes depending on who you speak to as well,
pmg

Post by pmg »

sd1985 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 pm
sd1985 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:20 am

Pretty standard, nothing strange about that.
OPCs spec cars in many different ways, wouldn’t look into that at all, especially as they would not have driven or experienced any of the cars so far.

Best to go off the facts - I.e. the reviews
Reviews are written by individuals who have their own biases, past experiences and tastes. Best to go off your test drive when possible ;) ;) ;) ;)
But in the absence of us not having that option yet, it’s better to listen to those that have driven the car than the OPC who generally dont have a clue I find.
Especially as most of us here will have locked in our specs before ever having the chance to drive one.
The issue we in the UK have is not any of the UK Car Youtubers many of us watch went to Norway. Over time, you get to know the biases of those individuals and from that get a better assessment of how you might feel about a car.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

pmg wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:17 pm
sd1985 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 pm

The issue we in the UK have is not any of the UK Car Youtubers many of us watch went to Norway. Over time, you get to know the biases of those individuals and from that get a better assessment of how you might feel about a car.
Yep true
I think I told you before but that nervousness and because I opted for the standard GTS sports suspension, led me to contact car reviewers who drove the new GTS.

I ended up contacting 4 of them and all of them came back with the same feedback.

They all drove the GTS with the standard sports suspension and all said it was a phenomenal car/drive and that the suspension was excellent and very comfortable in comfort model, even on rough roads and surfaces driven in LA. I’ve been to LA many times and the roads in the centre are indeed similar to here. So that was enough for me and better than any OPC will tell me
RGS

Post by RGS »

Car Magazine October edition has a brief review of the Gen 3 base model. However a mention was made of the harsh ride on the new GTS Sports Air Suspension, so it seems that opting for the no-cost standard suspension is a valid choice if you favour comfort over sport.
pmg

Post by pmg »

RGS wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 pm Car Magazine October edition has a brief review of the Gen 3 base model. However a mention was made of the harsh ride on the new GTS Sports Air Suspension, so it seems that opting for the no-cost standard suspension is a valid choice if you favour comfort over sport.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... macan-suv/

They drove the GTS at the recent Norway press event and in the above seem happy with the suspension
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
RGS

Post by RGS »

I guess it's an individual choice as long as people know there is a choice. I came to Porsche from an AMG C63 s that was a fantastic drive but rode like a brick even in comfort mode, fine on good tarmac but unforgiving on poor country roads, passengers especially in the back complained of the ride. My gen 2 Turbo Macan with Air Suspension and 21" wheels in comparison rides like a limousine on good tarmac, and a touch on the PASM button into sport, controls any bounce on poor country roads without affecting comfort. It's well worth a look at Nick Murray on YouTube testing the latest Cayenne S, and hear his view on Porsche cars. As we know he is a great fan and owner of a Macan but as he says in the video, Porsche make two types of cars, Sport and Luxury. His view is Cayennes and Macans don't fall into the sport category ! If you go along with that, the way you spec your car may well be different to most on this forum. It's all an individual choice and that's the beauty of Porsche they leave it to you to put what you want on your car.