GTS standard sports suspension versus ‘no cost option’ of normal adaptive air suspension ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mwillia

Post by Mwillia »

Hello all.Would appreciate any advice on the pro’s (or con’s) of opting out of taking the standard sport air suspension (-10 mm) on the GTS in favour of the no cost option ‘normal adaptive air suspension’ (+10 mm) ? I just read the new Pistonheads Macan 2022 GTS review (Sept 1st) where they state going for the no-cost option of ‘normal air suspension’ (rather than the standard GTS sport -10mm) suspension “ is a better compromise”.
Any views on this please ? (I’ve just ordered a GTS with standard (-10 mm) GTS air suspension,prefer comfort over OTT sportiness so thinking maybe I should revert to the (normal adaptive air suspension). Advice appreciated !
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-dri ... view/44629

F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Personally, I don’t believe I’d be able to tell the difference of 10mm lowering. It doesn’t seem to make much difference on the air suspension on my new Turbo, but I’ve only had this car for 3 weeks, so still learning. Adjustment of the ‘stiffening/damping’ of the suspension on the other hand, definitely makes a difference.

Edit: Just learned from the good to know app, the lowering button drops the suspension by 20mm.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

one thing to bear in mind is, at the moment, if you change the air spec you’ll probably end up adding a substantial delay to your delivery date.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Unless Porsche have changed how air suspension works there is a switch to lower the air suspension setting on my Macan by -10mm
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Mwillia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 pm Hello all.Would appreciate any advice on the pro’s (or con’s) of opting out of taking the standard sport air suspension (-10 mm) on the GTS in favour of the no cost option ‘normal adaptive air suspension’ (+10 mm) ? I just read the new Pistonheads Macan 2022 GTS review (Sept 1st) where they state going for the no-cost option of ‘normal air suspension’ (rather than the standard GTS sport -10mm) suspension “ is a better compromise”.
Any views on this please ? (I’ve just ordered a GTS with standard (-10 mm) GTS air suspension,prefer comfort over OTT sportiness so thinking maybe I should revert to the (normal adaptive air suspension). Advice appreciated !
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-dri ... view/44629
I’ve read several reviews now, and all of them apart from the piston heads one stars that the standard sports air suspension is more than adequate in comfort mode. So I’d keep standard one rather than risk delays.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Have had standard air for 6 years, just perfect.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

IMHO nobody has done a proper comparison test on the suspension choices yet. For First generation and facelift cars, all air suspensions ride 10mm lower than steel. The GTS (on both steel and air) rides 15mm lower than the suspension on other cars.

For 2022 models, the S on air suspension rides 15mm lower than an S on steel (taken from Technical Data sheet on configurator). The 2022 GTS rides 25mm lower than an S on steel. Opting for "normal" air suspension means it still rides 15mm lower than an S on steel. All 2022 MY cars ride 3mm lower than their predecessors (I doubt anyone will notice the difference).

The reason for my opening comment is that nobody has properly compared the stiffness of the new GTS air suspension with that on the first facelift GTS or the 2022 S air suspension. It was the early Porsche statements that the 2022 GTS suspension would be 10-15% stiffer than the 2020-2021 GTS air suspension that has put the cat amongst the pigeons. My 2020 GTS air suspension in "Comort" is slightly stiffer than my SD steel suspension was in "Sport". That's just a "bum on seat" feel. The wheel size on both of my Macans is the same at 20". Would an increase in stiffness of 10-15% be too much? I don't know but I find the "Sport" setting a little too stiff.

For a prospective buyer to find out for him/herself they will have to wait until their local OPC has an S demonstrator on air and a GTS demonstrator or at least wait until a GTS has been reviewed on UK roads.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:22 pm Unless Porsche have changed how air suspension works there is a switch to lower the air suspension setting on my Macan by -10mm
That switch is certainly still there on the 2020MY GTS Col. The comparisons in this thread are for air suspension in its standard setting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 am Have had standard air for 6 years, just perfect.
The suspension stiffness rates on "Gen3" cars was changed over "Gen2" and "Gen1"
Last edited by pmg on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
RGS

Post by RGS »

Early reviews of the Gen 3 GTS suggested that anything other than normal (comfort mode) would not cope well with UK roads. The reviewers found the suspension firm but ok on German roads, but raised a question mark regarding some of the UK road surfaces.