Porsche slow to BEV Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am
Nuclear is a sensible option. It produces next to no pollution, is cheap and easy but it has the word nuclear in it and when it goes wrong can be a tad unpleasant. However nuclear is such a pariah now that no politician would ever go near it.

"EDF has again revised the schedule and budget for the commissioning of the Hinkley Point C nuclear power plant under construction in Somerset, England. The start of electricity generation from unit 1 is now expected in June 2026, compared with end-2025 as initially announced in 2016. Delays arising from the pandemic will also increase the cost of the project by GBP500 million (USD684 million) to GBP23 billion."

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles ... least-2026

What a great and cheap solution to the electricty needs. :oops:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Black and white. You right, I wrong. No discussion just arguments. Its totally possible I am wrong ( my wife points this out a lot) but I think we need to talk rather than shout. Again I don’t know if there was bias in you article. One thing a year doing a physics degree did do was show how you should always check where the “facts” are coming from. Its possible the idiots blocking the M25 were right, I just don’t think they can prove they are, hence they chose to shout their point, put their fingers in their ears to contrary opinions and continue to ruin other people’s lives because they wont listen.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All good points. However, my point was that nuclear, during the generation phase, is a clean and constant base load while sustainable generation, when the wind blows and the sun shines, can top up as needed. But when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining and everyone wants to plug in their car to charge overnight we will have a shortfall that may result in selective 'brown outs' around the country. Smart chargers will try to mitigate this but users may find their battery hasn't been charged by the morning! As I've said before, and as others have hinted, I think we're backing the wrong horse here, again. We really should have been developing clean hydrogen production and distribution. We also should have installed many tidal generators but then the greens stopped that too because a few wild flowers might have been drowned.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^^ Precisely!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 pm All good points. However, my point was that nuclear, during the generation phase, is a clean and constant base load while sustainable generation, when the wind blows and the sun shines, can top up as needed. But when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining and everyone wants to plug in their car to charge overnight we will have a shortfall that may result in selective 'brown outs' around the country. Smart chargers will try to mitigate this but users may find their battery hasn't been charged by the morning! As I've said before, and as others have hinted, I think we're backing the wrong horse here, again. We really should have been developing clean hydrogen production and distribution. We also should have installed many tidal generators but then the greens stopped that too because a few wild flowers might have been drowned.
The wind / solar consistency issue will be solved by hydro storage plants and companies like this.

https://www.gsenergystoragefund.com/
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4436

Looks like they’re at it again:

https://apple.news/AF_WHZus0QHmjxqx7j982iQ
pmg

Post by pmg »

pmg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:26 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 pm All good points. However, my point was that nuclear, during the generation phase, is a clean and constant base load while sustainable generation, when the wind blows and the sun shines, can top up as needed. But when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining and everyone wants to plug in their car to charge overnight we will have a shortfall that may result in selective 'brown outs' around the country. Smart chargers will try to mitigate this but users may find their battery hasn't been charged by the morning! As I've said before, and as others have hinted, I think we're backing the wrong horse here, again. We really should have been developing clean hydrogen production and distribution. We also should have installed many tidal generators but then the greens stopped that too because a few wild flowers might have been drowned.
The wind / solar consistency issue will be solved by hydro storage plants and companies like this.

As I have said nuclear creates more energy from a non-asmosheric source and releases it ultimately into the atmosphere. Climate wise, it is no different to burning carbon and therefore adds to the climate problem rather than saving it
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

pmg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:29 pm

As I have said nuclear creates more energy from a non-asmosheric source and releases it ultimately into the atmosphere. Climate wise, it is no different to burning carbon and therefore adds to the climate problem rather than saving it
Nuclear may be clean during its operational lifetime but it is an environmental disaster during construction and de-commissioning.

Concrete production and use is notoriously CO2 unfriendly with 7% of global CO2 emissions being from concrete production and use or so says ICL.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Drop in the ocean at the moment. Anything large enough to offset wind and solar will be very expensive and a very long way off.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold