Porsche slow to BEV Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:44 pm apparently the Taycan has now outsold the 911 and, perhaps more surprisingly, the Tesla S. I guess if the S is the same price most people would chose the Porsche over the Tesla

https://apple.news/AVsi-XwTiQlKnj2ejhsFe7Q
It's not that surprising when the Model S has been unavailable for much of the last year (due to changing over to the new production) and not available at all now in the UK until the end of 2022. It's now a very low volume car for Tesla. To put it in perspective I think they sold something like 10,000 Model S vs 600,000 Model 3s so far this year.

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:36 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:44 pm apparently the Taycan has now outsold the 911 and, perhaps more surprisingly, the Tesla S. I guess if the S is the same price most people would chose the Porsche over the Tesla

It's not that surprising when the Model S has been unavailable for much of the last year (due to changing over to the new production) and not available at all now in the UK until the end of 2022. It's now a very low volume car for Tesla. To put it in perspective I think they sold something like 10,000 Model S vs 600,000 Model 3s so far this year.
The Model 3 is the real sweet spot for electric cars IMHO. The lack of any kind of dash, and the squashed frog look at the front are a bit off-putting but I still think its the only electric car worth buying at the moment. The ones I have driven are very nice cars.
Deleted User 1874

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:36 pm

The Model 3 is the real sweet spot for electric cars IMHO. The lack of any kind of dash, and the squashed frog look at the front are a bit off-putting but I still think its the only electric car worth buying at the moment. The ones I have driven are very nice cars.
Yeah they're good. I don't have a problem with the lack of a dash. It's actually one of the features I like most in the car. You get a more panoramic view of the road ahead without having a slab of dash right in front of you. Only thing I don't like is the traditional boot opening, which limits its practicality as a true family hauler. Hopefully the Model Y will address that issue, but the 3 would have been perfect with a full tailgate like the Model S has.

Meanwhile I've given up waiting for the EV Macan and ordered a Model Y for delivery early 2022.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ surprise, surprise....not !!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
New User

Post by New User »

Just had a quick look at the Model Y and surprised that it weighs only 2000kg which is not at all bad for a 5/7 seater! It is not a looker but the overall
package at £55k must have Jaguar and BMW worried.
Deleted User 1874

New User wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:18 pm Just had a quick look at the Model Y and surprised that it weighs only 2000kg which is not at all bad for a 5/7 seater! It is not a looker but the overall
package at £55k must have Jaguar and BMW worried.
I looked at all the alternative options pretty closely because honestly I would have preferred a change from Tesla. We already have a Model 3 and the Y is identical inside (except for being taller), so it will not feel like a whole new car experience. I've had a close look at the iPace and didn't really gel with it. The BMW looks like a bodged up ICE platform with underwhelming performance. Both these cars are clearly aimed at conservative middle-aged ICE converts who want minimal change. Especially the BMW - a total non-starter for me.

Then there's charging out on the road and this car will be used for long family trips, including the odd road-trip into Europe. I don't want to be staring at banks of empty Tesla Super-chargers while struggling to hook up to some token gesture public charger alongside. I've seen that from the other side recently and it didn't look good. So Tesla it is - again! That's me sorted until 2026, so hopefully by then there will be some viable alternatives and charging out in the wild will be less of a show-stopper.

I'll be sad to see our Model X go when the Y arrives next year. It's been an awesome family wagon over the last 4 years with absolutely none of the reliability issues touted by the media and forums. But that's probably the kiss of death for it now :D
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

This is quite well considered:

Deleted User 1874

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:49 pm This is quite well considered:
Agreed. I like Rory Reid's style of presentation.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:49 pm This is quite well considered:

Yes, like his style and approach - most of the pros and cons are argued reasonably, but still leaves the big questions unanswered at the moment and rather idealistic in his outlook for the future.

In the list of negatives "that most people are concerned about" he fails to mention the dire state of the public charging network and the scale of the shortfall to be addressed. Agreed he says many people wrongly assess their use case, which often will be covered by home charging at the moment, but if the ramp up in EV use is to meet govt aspirations public charging is quickly going to become an even bigger issue.

He's also, like many, been misled by the green energy lobby into believing that he's on a 100% sustainable electricity tariff. This isn't possible with the UK's energy network otherwise his power would go off when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining, something that happened for long periods only last month and this one.

But at least this is a clear and understandable expression of the for and against arguments at the present time, which is what he set out to do.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

No issue with EV’s, much simpler than any ICE vehicle (albeit clinical). I’m considering slotting in a deposit/intent for a Macan or a Lotus SUV? Just think that the infrastructure is so far behind the need, including absolute power needed when millions are switching, that this may well end up another Betamax moment as something altogether better comes along and we are all taken in a wholly different direction. A Uk deadline of 2030 for no new built ICE cars will certainly be a challenge to fulfil for all but the car manufacturers themselves.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6