Porsche slow to BEV Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 pm
generally speaking I think the Tesla’s, all of them, look pretty good. Not massively keen on the squashed frog look of the Model 3 from the front but I think it looks at least as good as any other saloon from the side and the back. I also think the build quality was pretty good and the handling was surprisingly good. The acceleration is insane from any speed. It makes pretty much any ICE Porsche, including all the more exotic stuff, feel like a tractor. However, for me I prefer the Macan as an over all package. The Model 3 Performance was always plan B for me though if the Macan was going to take to long to show up. Its still my main choice for the next car.
Yep, I don't have a problem with the way Teslas look. When I first saw the Model S I did think it was a bit generic looking and I didn't like the original front end with fake grille. But I thought the 2106 facelift was a big improvement and everything since looks good to me. I like the clean lines and large flush fitting glass areas and it makes the interior much less claustrophobic than a traditional car. Performance is always stunning. Only thing with the 3 is the conventional boot, which limits it a bit for cargo space. Model Y LR will be ideal for me. Got one on order now for early 2022 to replace our X. Macan EV will be interesting, but still several years away. That could potentially replace my Model Y, but only if they don't pander to ICE design limitations like BMW have just done with their latest iX3 bodge up.

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:28 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 pm
generally speaking I think the Tesla’s, all of them, look pretty good. Not massively keen on the squashed frog look of the Model 3 from the front but I think it looks at least as good as any other saloon from the side and the back. I also think the build quality was pretty good and the handling was surprisingly good. The acceleration is insane from any speed. It makes pretty much any ICE Porsche, including all the more exotic stuff, feel like a tractor. However, for me I prefer the Macan as an over all package. The Model 3 Performance was always plan B for me though if the Macan was going to take to long to show up. Its still my main choice for the next car.
Yep, I don't have a problem with the way Teslas look. When I first saw the Model S I did think it was a bit generic looking and I didn't like the original front end with fake grille. But I thought the 2106 facelift was a big improvement and everything since looks good to me. I like the clean lines and large flush fitting glass areas and it makes the interior much less claustrophobic than a traditional car. Performance is always stunning. Only thing with the 3 is the conventional boot, which limits it a bit for cargo space. Model Y LR will be ideal for me. Got one on order now for early 2022 to replace our X. Macan EV will be interesting, but still several years away. That could potentially replace my Model Y, but only if they don't pander to ICE design limitations like BMW have just done with their latest iX3 bodge up.
yep, Model 3 should definitely have been a hatch
Deleted User 1874

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:31 pm yep, Model 3 should definitely have been a hatch
I think they probably did the saloon first because they were production limited. The Y is basically the hatch/crossover version and there is a Golf sized hatch coming next. The 3 is actually more practical than it looks. The boot is tall and deep and the rear seats fold flat. Things like bikes go in quite easily and large bags are no issue. Not sure why they didn't make it like the Model S hatch though.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:31 pm yep, Model 3 should definitely have been a hatch
I think they probably did the saloon first because they were production limited. The Y is basically the hatch/crossover version and there is a Golf sized hatch coming next. The 3 is actually more practical than it looks. The boot is tall and deep and the rear seats fold flat. Things like bikes go in quite easily and large bags are no issue. Not sure why they didn't make it like the Model S hatch though.
Cost and weight of the extra strengthening around the hatch to ensure adequate torsional rigidity?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4436

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:18 pm
Cost and weight of the extra strengthening around the hatch to ensure adequate torsional rigidity?
I think the main issue is the massive glass roof. There’s no real way they could have both.
pmg

Post by pmg »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:26 pm

I think the main issue is the massive glass roof. There’s no real way they could have both.
I think they have both on the Y
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

Cost possibly was a factor. I think torsional rigidity would have been fine. Market for a saloon also still quite healthy and they were going after the BMW 3 series.
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:32 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:26 pm

I think they have both on the Y
Yep, the Y has a massive glass roof with no central cross-beam like the 3 has. The 3 has a very large rear glass area that covers the whole rear cabin. Had they made the 3 into a hatch, maybe rear headroom would have been a problem where the tailgate would have attached. It's not an issue on the Y with the roofline being so much higher.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

BM munter x4.......................

Not a fan of Tesla either and don't get me started on the Audi Q4

Taycan and Etron GT best by far so far................but a very low bar. Add to that 'the whine@ and i'm oot
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 4436

bennachie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:49 pm BM munter x4.......................

Not a fan of Tesla either and don't get me started on the Audi Q4

Taycan and Etron GT best by far so far................but a very low bar. Add to that 'the whine@ and i'm oot
to be fair, BMW have decided to kill their brand styling on their whole range, but their new electrics are next level revolting to look at