Dash Cams (Porsche)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Years back I asked the question - why is this not an optional extra (bit late for me as I am up and running (and have been for 10 years)). I presume this 'Porsche' cam is made by one of the established manufacturers - I'd be interested to know which one AND I'd be interested to know what additional features the 'Porsche' cam comes with e.g. tracking?

Porsche DashCam.png

Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Firstly I agree 100%. You would have thought Dashcams would be a standard optional extra by now. The market for them would be huge I would have thought.
I enquired in July and my dealer said all he knew was that it would be installed at the dealership and he thought it was £640. Other than that the only info he could give me was the same as what is on Teesside Porsche’s website (which was the only website at the time that mentioned dashcams)
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Nick the Greek

Post by Nick the Greek »

The special feature is the price......

https://www.porscheteesside.co.uk/about ... wsmodel~en
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

GTB

Post by GTB »

Looking at the promo videos on Youtube and some of the OPC, it certainly does look like a DEaler fitted option, what with that lovely big black cable dissapearing up the windscreen into the headlining.
That would certainly put me off, hopefully somebody at Porsche can design a dashcam unit where it fits in with no cables seen. Certainly a pet hate of mine as an electrical engineer, but also other car manufacturers can fit dashcams and the look as if they were installed in the factory and meant to be there, not an after thought.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Nick the Greek wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 pm The special feature is the price......

https://www.porscheteesside.co.uk/about ... wsmodel~en
£880 is an absolute disgrace even by Porsches standards. I had a good spec front and rear fitted to my Macan for less than £300 if I recall. But because of the whole warranty issue, this is the fail safe option if you want one and don’t wish to be nervous about invalidating the warranty.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Salty

Post by Salty »

For a long time now I have thought that dash cams should be an optional extra if not standard fit considering it is essentially a safety device. I don’t see why it can’t be incorporated into the rear view mirror housing in a neat and compact fashion.
I haven’t been able to find a review of the Porsche dash cam but I’m not surprised that it will be substantially more expensive than most dash cams on the market. There is no mention of a back up battery for it which supplies power during park mode as is available for other dash cams. I would be concerned about battery drain without a back up battery being fitted.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Stupid thing is with Surround Cam all the video cameras are there, surely it would be a relatively simple design development to get a recording system set up.

There again it is Porsche, so it will no doubt be a seven year development program before the spy shots were even released.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

I enquired at my OPC and they said it’s not compatible with a 991.2 only the 992. Absolute rip off and it's only the front camera!
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »