2021 Macan S vs 2018 Macan GTS - Cost vs Time

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I would say, if you’re already bored with the wait for a new S, then buy the 2018 GTS, and you could be driving it next week 👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon

Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Well to be fair I was being a little flippant by saying I was bored already but having been thinking about it for 6 months I can foresee the next 8-9 months being frustrating.

I’m starting to think that going for the GTS now and then buying a Gen 3 in 2 years time might be the best option.

The concern about depreciation is real but presumably if values tank they will also impact Gen 3 models. I don’t think a nicer sat nav and haptic buttons can protect it completely.
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Smokey99 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:32 pm Well to be fair I was being a little flippant by saying I was bored already but having been thinking about it for 6 months I can foresee the next 8-9 months being frustrating.

I’m starting to think that going for the GTS now and then buying a Gen 3 in 2 years time might be the best option.

The concern about depreciation is real but presumably if values tank they will also impact Gen 3 models. I don’t think a nicer sat nav and haptic buttons can protect it completely.
And a ‘completely redesigned’ front grill
Deleted User 4388

Post by Deleted User 4388 »

Second hand prices are utter madness at the moment and like house prices a few months ago. You have just got to wait for the "silliness" to calm down - and it will! Buying a second hand one at the moment during these inflated prices will cost you dear in the long run, as you are buying high and will ultimately sell at a bigger loss once the prices inevitably stabilise again. New prices have not really gone up at a result of the chip shortage and increased pandemic induced demand, like used prices have. You may get a quick fix now buying second hand, but i bet you will kick yourself in 6-12 months time when that spanking new one, spec'd to your delight, could have been sitting on your drive. Then work out what its cost you over 2-3 years ownership and i bet the over priced second hand one will end up costing you more.

Patience is a virtue.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Brand new for me is the only option that makes sense, we were in a similar dilemma. The extra money dealers are putting on cars with terrible specs is insane. Easily up £10-15k on last year.
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

jonnydrama wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:35 pm Brand new for me is the only option that makes sense, we were in a similar dilemma. The extra money dealers are putting on cars with terrible specs is insane. Easily up £10-15k on last year.
This is absolutely true but the blow is softened significantly when the used value on my own car has also gone up by £9k over that time

So from that perspective its not costing me any more than when a 2018 GTS was say £46k-£48k.

If I wait for the GEN 3 will that used value be the same??

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you do your research further you should find that a GTS is a far more desirable car than an S and hence retains its value.

I would suggest consider getting the GTS & also to place a deposit on a Gen3 GTS.

See how thinks go, as you will only heed to firm up the contract to buy the Gen3 at spec lockdown which will be c6 weeks prior to the build date. You then decide keep, trade in or sell privately.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 am
I would suggest consider getting the GTS & also to place a deposit on a Gen3 GTS.

See how thinks go, as you will only heed to firm up the contract to buy the Gen3 at spec lockdown which will be c6 weeks prior to the build date. You then decide keep, trade in or sell privately.
It's a nice idea but sadly the new GTS with desired spec is beyond my budget and I'm happy with a the uprated S spec.

Though I may not feel that way after 12 months enjoying a 2018 GTS.......😈

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Smokey99 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 am
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 am

It's a nice idea but sadly the new GTS with desired spec is beyond my budget and I'm happy with a the uprated S spec.

Though I may not feel that way after 12 months enjoying a 2018 GTS.......😈
The new S may still be fine as the 2018(likely gen1) GTS actually has less power than the new 2022 S(360BHP when new) The Gen 2 GTS(2019 mode onwards) is the one which shares its engine with the new S.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

ANY Macan is MORE than quick enough in the real world, in real world traffic............. just enjoy...
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'