Buttons

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 am
TheTraveller wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 am If I'm not mistaken, that's the law now. If you are parked anywhere on the publice road, not just a stop due to traffic circumstances, you must not have the engine ticking over. It's got to be switched off.
I should probably google this, but I don’t think its a legal requirement. We have quite a few train crossings around here and they all have signs saying “please turn off your engine” rather than “turn it off or else!”.
Have a look at Section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, £20 fine by local councils, but can be much more if caught by Police.😩
Pretty sure the term “unnecessary” would get you off that one. Plus, the plod would have to be in the traffic with you to spot it, so even if that is your interpretation of the rules I think you’d be pretty darn unlucky to actually get done for it.

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

If you’ve looked at it, it does also mention that it’s not just public roads. So possibly a driveway too could be covered. Easy to catch the morons who abuse the system.
It’s not my interpretation, it’s the law.😂
Deleted User 4436

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm If you’ve looked at it, it does also mention that it’s not just public roads. So possibly a driveway too could be covered. Easy to catch the morons who abuse the system.
It’s not my interpretation, it’s the law.😂
Ever met anyone who has been done for this law? Can’t say as I have. Odd considering how easy it is.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Never heard of anyone being done by that law in the 33 years its been going.
Be a proper kick in the nuts being fined for that and all these morons get away with holding their phones while driving.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Salty

Post by Salty »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am Must be a generational thing. I have no issue at all with stop/start. I actually like that it goes totally quiet when I stop. Only issue i have with it is when it occasionally starts when I’ve been sitting for a while and I’m not expecting it. Scares the crap out of me!
I stopped to let a Lady on horseback to go
past. The auto stop kicked in and Just as she was level with the car it started again which startled the horse and in turn startled the rider and me too!
I’ll remember to turn the ignition off next time.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Deleted User 4436

Salty wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:49 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am Must be a generational thing. I have no issue at all with stop/start. I actually like that it goes totally quiet when I stop. Only issue i have with it is when it occasionally starts when I’ve been sitting for a while and I’m not expecting it. Scares the crap out of me!
I stopped to let a Lady on horseback to go
past. The auto stop kicked in and Just as she was level with the car it started again which startled the horse and in turn startled the rider and me too!
I’ll remember to turn the ignition off next time.
How slow was the horse going? Mine usually stays off for a good 5 mins even with radio and aircon going. Must say though, with my sports exhaust if it did start next to a horse I think it would have serious issues.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:59 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm
ScotMac wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am

Obviously lots more wear on your battery / starter motor / alternator ( I wonder what they cost from Porsche :roll: :roll: )
This is why I dislike the "feature", mainly just for wearing the starter out.

Stop/start is turned off first thing.
Have you ever warn out a starter? Cant say as I have ever had to replace a starter, or a battery for that matter, on any car I have ever owned with Start/Stop (which is pretty much all of them over the last 10 years). Haven't seen any reviews on line that say it causes this issue either, although I will admit I haven't specifically looked. I would have thought that is auto start/stop caused any demonstrable damage to a car it would have been mentioned more on motoring sites and possibly the news.
Although not recently, I have replaced a few batteries, starter motors and alternators. They do not last "for ever" unfortunately.
Deleted User 4436

ScotMac wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm

This is why I dislike the "feature", mainly just for wearing the starter out.

Stop/start is turned off first thing.
Have you ever warn out a starter? Cant say as I have ever had to replace a starter, or a battery for that matter, on any car I have ever owned with Start/Stop (which is pretty much all of them over the last 10 years). Haven't seen any reviews on line that say it causes this issue either, although I will admit I haven't specifically looked. I would have thought that is auto start/stop caused any demonstrable damage to a car it would have been mentioned more on motoring sites and possibly the news.
Although not recently, I have replaced a few batteries, starter motors and alternators. They do not last "for ever" unfortunately.
I replaced a few batteries in the dim and distant time of my yooof, but never replaced a starter motor or alternator in nearly 40 years of driving ( including some pretty ratty cars ). Guess i must have just been lucky.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm

I replaced a few batteries in the dim and distant time of my yooof, but never replaced a starter motor or alternator in nearly 40 years of driving ( including some pretty ratty cars ). Guess i must have just been lucky.
It’s quite common on older high mileage cars. The starter motor gear flies forward to engage with the starter ring causing wear as it engages and loads up against the teeth on the ring. When well worn the starter gear can fail to turn the ring and just spin. Savvy owners would ‘bump’ the car in gear to turn the flywheel to a different position where the starter gear might engage fully. Manual cars of course. But starting any car repeatedly is a heavy mechanical and electrical load on all the associated components.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm

It’s quite common on older high mileage cars. The starter motor gear flies forward to engage with the starter ring causing wear as it engages and loads up against the teeth on the ring. When well worn the starter gear can fail to turn the ring and just spin. Savvy owners would ‘bump’ the car in gear to turn the flywheel to a different position where the starter gear might engage fully. Manual cars of course. But starting any car repeatedly is a heavy mechanical and electrical load on all the associated components.
my landy had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it. To the best of my knowledge it never had a new starter or alternator ( pretty much everything else fell off it, broke or leaked though, including the battery ).