2016/2017 Macan S D buying advice

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Percymon
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Percymon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Any comments much appreciated as i'm considering buying a 2016/2017 Macan S diesel.

I've been browsing the usual web pages for potential cars, and seen quite a few potentials sell in the last week so even with current elevated prices they are still finding buyers.

Forum searches suggests PDK oil/filter change is required every 40k miles and transfer boxes can be problematic too.

I'm currently looking at a couple of potential cars.

1 - 2016/66 with a nice spec - 21" wheels, pasm, privacy glass, Pano roof, leather 14 way seats, aluminium interior, auto cruise plus a few other bits. Despite a full OPC history, there's no immediate evidence of the PDK service and the mileage is now approaching 44k miles. It is also fitted with near new Uniroyal RainSport 5 tyres, which are decent enough mid range tyres but not N rated. I'm assuming i'd have to replace the tyres before qualifying for an extended Porsche warranty ? (I've noted one Macan for sale at an OPC on Nokian non approved tyres). For sale at a prestige car dealer, not OPC, so minimal 3 month warranty offered.

2 Private sale 2017/67 - Turbo 21s, Privacy Glass, Pano roof, PASM, PDLS+, 14 way seats, apple car play plus a few other extras. 44k miles. Full OPC service history, turbo intercooler replaced at 40k miles, Porsche warranty until Nov 22 and new Pirelli N0 fitted a month ago. I'm assuming the PDK oil/filter was done at the recent 40k mile service.

The private sale one is a year newer, same miles, similarish spec, has N rated tyres and carries a Porsche warranty, plus £1k lower price - in some ways its a better buy ?

I'm still working from home currently and only hybrid working looks likely going forward, so i can't see my annual mileage being much more than 9k miles, with servicing and tyres every 2 years.

Macan issues I'm aware of in my research so far..

pano roof drain blockages
transfer box failures (Porsche seem to be honouring replacements providing vehicle isn't modified/abused)
PDK service

Other questions ?
Brake life - obviously depends on how the car is driven but what is typical disc/pad life ? (I replaced all on my Boxster at 50k miles and the original pads were only 50% worn, the rest of the car is factory original)
Turbo failures ?
Build quality areas to look out for (other than flimsy feeling stalks) ?
Wheel corrosion - most of the bigger wheel sizes have an element of diamond cut faces, what's owners experience of corrosion on them ?

Many thanks for any help.

User avatar
SAC1
Posts: 2272
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: near BATH

Post by SAC1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:32 pm

One thing to consider is the potential DPF issue. If you do short trips, that does not get the diesel engine oil up to full operating temperature. If that will be your usage, then the petrol option is the answer.

2017 model year saw some upgrades and improvements to the Macan range.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Percymon
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Percymon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm

SAC1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:32 pm
One thing to consider is the potential DPF issue. If you do short trips, that does not get the diesel engine oil up to full operating temperature. If that will be your usage, then the petrol option is the answer.

2017 model year saw some upgrades and improvements to the Macan range.
Thanks for the heads up on the DPF, never had issues on previous diesel cars but then i was doing a reasonable daily commute. The Land Rover i just sold on has a reputation for being prone to issues. yet i must have completed hundreds of journeys ca 1mile each in lockdown and never saw a warning of any description.

My other half has a Fiat 500, so that is used for a lot of the short town trips these days.

Not too many petrol S around in my price range either, plus the fuel consumption isn't very appealing ;)

bennachie
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Post by bennachie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 pm

Buy a petrol
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

gasgas1
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am
Location: Devon

Post by gasgas1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:29 pm

diesels are fine, looks like you have covered most things, if DPF ever becomes an issue just get it forced regenerated, about 35 mins, better still go for a 20min blast at 2000 rpm

Col Lamb
Posts: 7357
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Lancashire

Post by Col Lamb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 pm

You have basically asked the question i two posts.

Difficult to clear DPF issues if the car has gone into limp home mode.

If you have to go on a drive specifically to initiate regen then an SD is not the car for you.

I only achieved an actual 32mpg in mine where the MFD showed 35-36mpg.

Up to Mway speeds an SD is fine in Sport mode, sluggish in comfort mode.

If you drive a Beamer X3 with the 35D engine then drive an SD Macan you will wish the Macan had the Beamer engine which is totally effortless to drive at all speeds,
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

jonnydrama
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Post by jonnydrama » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 am

We've covered 50k in our S D, no DPF issues so it's definitely down to how you use the car. I think you can do a forced regen using the Autel AP200 tool (£50) so that's worth bearing in mind.

Car 1 - yes you'll definitely need to replace all cars, non N rated ones won't slip through the check unfortunately. You should be able to check with Porsche if a PDK service has been carried out, see if the garage can tell you which OPC performed it and get in touch with them to check as not everything is marked in the service book. When mine was done I got them to add it into the service book and I've kept receipts to prove it. When comparing with OPC prices remember you have about £3000 difference now for the warranty check, 2 years extension and a full set of N rated tyres so it has to be a bargain to be worth it.

Car 2 - doesn't sound bad at all.

mark-yorkshire
Posts: 2979
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Post by mark-yorkshire » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 am

If you want to know more about dpf issues then see this topic
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6168
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian due
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Percymon
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Percymon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:31 am

Col Lamb wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 pm
You have basically asked the question i two posts.

Difficult to clear DPF issues if the car has gone into limp home mode.

If you have to go on a drive specifically to initiate regen then an SD is not the car for you.

I only achieved an actual 32mpg in mine where the MFD showed 35-36mpg.

Up to Mway speeds an SD is fine in Sport mode, sluggish in comfort mode.

If you drive a Beamer X3 with the 35D engine then drive an SD Macan you will wish the Macan had the Beamer engine which is totally effortless to drive at all speeds,
Having had the straight 6 BMW 3.0TD in several cars from 1997 - 2002 I can certainly vouch for the BMW diesels engineering; sadly the complexity of the electronic modules in the rest of the cars got me very familiar with my local BMW Emergency Service tech and the local service department !

I'm not too worried about the mpg, the Land Rover only got me low 30s in recent times with less commuting, and even with long runs then it was only 36-37mpg average. Simialrly, coming from the LR the motorway acceleration should be far better irrespective of driving mode, the 9 speed auto LR fitted was an absolute nightmare as it never seemed to know what gear to be in and was inconsistent from one day to another, the four pot ingenium engine was no powerhouse either.

Son is now at university (60 miles away) and myself and the other half more often than not will go out at the weekends for a 30+ mile drive for days out. I'm not overly concerned about the dpf to be honest, but it is a consideration given my mileage has dropped down with lack of commutes.

Percymon
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Percymon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am

jonnydrama wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 am
We've covered 50k in our S D, no DPF issues so it's definitely down to how you use the car. I think you can do a forced regen using the Autel AP200 tool (£50) so that's worth bearing in mind.

Car 1 - yes you'll definitely need to replace all cars, non N rated ones won't slip through the check unfortunately. You should be able to check with Porsche if a PDK service has been carried out, see if the garage can tell you which OPC performed it and get in touch with them to check as not everything is marked in the service book. When mine was done I got them to add it into the service book and I've kept receipts to prove it. When comparing with OPC prices remember you have about £3000 difference now for the warranty check, 2 years extension and a full set of N rated tyres so it has to be a bargain to be worth it.

Car 2 - doesn't sound bad at all.
Thanks for the input, and sense check

Yes car 1 is too expensive, but its a nice spec and less anal buyers would no doubt be wowed by the visuals. The last service was at 37k miles, so the OPC didnt do the PDK as it wasn't due (or perhaps more specifically they probably told the owner is was due shortly and they declined at the time).

Car 2 ticks most of my boxes to be honest, theres no reverse camera but i can live without that as i won't be parking in tight spaces. I have a feeling it will be sold before i have a chance to view though. Maybe thats no bad thing as it might stop me rushing into buying at a high pint of prices, perhaps hanging on til late spring will see values drop back a little.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post