2016/2017 Macan S D buying advice

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Percymon wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am Yes car 1 is too expensive, but its a nice spec and less anal buyers would no doubt be wowed by the visuals. The last service was at 37k miles, so the OPC didnt do the PDK as it wasn't due (or perhaps more specifically they probably told the owner is was due shortly and they declined at the time).
PDK oil change is six years or 40k miles so it wasn't due at the last service. In relation to Car 2, don't assume that the PDK oil change has happened ask for evidence.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

On-Track wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 am
Percymon wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am Yes car 1 is too expensive, but its a nice spec and less anal buyers would no doubt be wowed by the visuals. The last service was at 37k miles, so the OPC didnt do the PDK as it wasn't due (or perhaps more specifically they probably told the owner is was due shortly and they declined at the time).
PDK oil change is six years or 40k miles so it wasn't due at the last service. In relation to Car 2, don't assume that the PDK oil change has happened ask for evidence.
Thanks for the advice. Car 2 has had the PDK service recently, a transfer box replacement a year ago and a full set of brakes around the same time. Some big numbers of the service invoices ! In some ways thats a lot of positives
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 am If you want to know more about dpf issues then see this topic
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6168
Thanks for the link Mark, some interesting reading there (so far 15 pages in !) - The irregular pattern of issues in 2017, and the responses from Porsche (driver behaviour) was very similar to that taken by JLR. There was an inherent design issue with the JLR engine/exhaust when in transvere layout applications. I'll keep reading. I did run the odd shot of Miller's Diesel additive in a few cars (cetane/lubricity booster) without any adverse impact, but whether it helped is anyone's guess.
Last edited by Percymon on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Percymon wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:15 am
mark-yorkshire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 am If you want to know more about dpf issues then see this topic
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6168
Thanks for the link Mark, some interesting reading there (so far 15 pages in !) - The irregular erratic pattern of issues in 2017, and the responses from Porsche, was very similar to that taken by JLR. There was an inherent design issue with the JLR engine/exhaust when in transvere layout applications. I'll keep reading. I did run the odd shot of Miller's Diesel additive in a few cars (cetane/lubricity booster) without any adverse impact, but whether it helped is anyone's guess.
If you buy an SD you really must use it so that the DPF gets fully hot and the chance to do a regen. I personally got tired of doing pointless runs down the M62 to clear the dpf. After going into limp mode and having to be trailered back to the dealership I complained to Porsche U.K. and got a voucher for £1300 to be put towards anything eg new car, servicing, warranty etc.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

On-Track wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 am
It's now on 44k though so there should be some evidence of it being done at the service or after. Even if it got done now, a mere 4k after it's required I wouldn't put it past Porsche to be funny about warranty claims.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

I had a BMW 435D before the Macan so in a similar position to you. I got 38mpg in the 435d and average 35mpg in the Macan, that's with 21" wheels which do make a difference. Smaller wheels will give better mpg.

I have had a 2017 SD for 20 months now. Done 24K miles and no issues really apart from servicing and the Transfer Box that was replaced under warranty. Yes it's slower than the x35D but it's fast enough in the real world. It's surprising quick 0-40mph. The car is now on 46K and the brakes and pads are all original. I think they will go a few more miles.

The way the Macan handles is far better than the 435d i had and it goes over the pot holes without that massive bang too which i hated. The suspension IS in a different league to the BMW.

I added car play with the dealer - that helps with the dated tech.

If you have any more questions let me know. Note that servicing costs are higher!
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Thanks for the input Ti Rich.

LR servicing doesn't come cheap either - i shopped around for its first and only service with me, managed to find one dealer £100 cheaper than the other two local ones - but still £400 for oil and filter change. Cheaper than Porsche but only mostly ugly boxes to look at while you wait at the LR dealer !

I'm a sucker for bigger wheels on cars, always have been; my sensible head says 19" is probably a nice compromise of cost, comfort and handling, 20s are probably a bit sharper on steering & handling and visually look better. 21s are a bit showy but then why not ?
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Yes, the 21" do look superb and give a much better ride than the 19" BMW run flats ever did. If you had driven a BMW with 18/19" run-flats then you will find the 21" wheels more than fine. Just make sure you have PASM or Air suspension to go with them.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Ti Rich wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 pm It's surprising quick 0-40mph.

and the way road congestion and eco speed limits are going that's all you will ever need ;) ;) ;) :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

pmg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Ti Rich wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 pm It's surprising quick 0-40mph.

and the way road congestion and eco speed limits are going that's all you will ever need ;) ;) ;) :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
So true!!!!!