Financing or not?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GTB

Post by GTB »

Visiting my OPC and negotiating deal on a new GTS last month I was quoted similar 7.9% finance for their PCP package, so that would appear to be a standard figure. Bought enough cars to know SE gets a commission etc etc. Now given current intrest rates etc 7.9% is expensive, now before I went in I had a PCP quote for a new GTS from my bank and actually detailed the OPC as the selling dealer.
Im likley sworn to secrecy but my inrest rate from my bank was considerably less than 7.9% so I gave the option to SE to at least match it!! Now thats up to them is lending money better making something than not securing the finance deal whatsoever, so when they said OK we will match the bank I still insisted they at least beat it as all theyw ere doing was offering the same. They sell cars end of story. If they wish to be finance dealers and giving out loans etc they need to compete at the market rate.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0

Winryn

Post by Winryn »

I’ve a GTS on order and I’m not sure whether I’ll go outright purchase or finance route. My issue is I’m quite nervous about the value of my car in 3-4 years time. If the government make some changes to push us out of ice cars (they destroyed diesel cars over night) over the next few years, I like the idea I can just vt or give the car back to the finance company and let them take a loss should the car tank in value. I’m not certain yet and have plenty of time to think before my hopeful may delivery. I’d save a lot of interest but it’s a £70k car maybe no one will want in 4 years time
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Some good points here.

I normally go down the cash route but PCP or finance can sometimes make sense.
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

GTB wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:19 pm Visiting my OPC and negotiating deal on a new GTS last month I was quoted similar 7.9% finance for their PCP package, so that would appear to be a standard figure. Bought enough cars to know SE gets a commission etc etc. Now given current intrest rates etc 7.9% is expensive, now before I went in I had a PCP quote for a new GTS from my bank and actually detailed the OPC as the selling dealer.
Im likley sworn to secrecy but my inrest rate from my bank was considerably less than 7.9% so I gave the option to SE to at least match it!! Now thats up to them is lending money better making something than not securing the finance deal whatsoever, so when they said OK we will match the bank I still insisted they at least beat it as all theyw ere doing was offering the same. They sell cars end of story. If they wish to be finance dealers and giving out loans etc they need to compete at the market rate.

GTB
Is the 7.9 as it’s a GTS? Only my OPC is offering 5.9% for finance on a new S.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Winryn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21 pm I’ve a GTS on order and I’m not sure whether I’ll go outright purchase or finance route. My issue is I’m quite nervous about the value of my car in 3-4 years time. If the government make some changes to push us out of ice cars (they destroyed diesel cars over night) over the next few years, I like the idea I can just vt or give the car back to the finance company and let them take a loss should the car tank in value. I’m not certain yet and have plenty of time to think before my hopeful may delivery. I’d save a lot of interest but it’s a £70k car maybe no one will want in 4 years time
Winryn, what do you think youll be wanting to drive in 4 years time? I'll be surprised if a Macan doesn't keep you happy. I'm 2 years into Macan ownership and, unless I get an easier route into a Gen 3 than is currently available, I'm EXTREMELY likely to still be driving it then. Value won't come into it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

“Cash is King” any other funding form is just additional cost of ownership.
When people talk about matching or beating a return through investment they rarely consider the tax implications. If you have the available cash use it.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Winryn

Post by Winryn »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 pm
Winryn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21 pm I’ve a GTS on order and I’m not sure whether I’ll go outright purchase or finance route. My issue is I’m quite nervous about the value of my car in 3-4 years time. If the government make some changes to push us out of ice cars (they destroyed diesel cars over night) over the next few years, I like the idea I can just vt or give the car back to the finance company and let them take a loss should the car tank in value. I’m not certain yet and have plenty of time to think before my hopeful may delivery. I’d save a lot of interest but it’s a £70k car maybe no one will want in 4 years time
Winryn, what do you think youll be wanting to drive in 4 years time? I'll be surprised if a Macan doesn't keep you happy. I'm 2 years into Macan ownership and, unless I get an easier route into a Gen 3 than is currently available, I'm EXTREMELY likely to still be driving it then. Value won't come into it.
As much as it pains me to admit it, I’d imagine I’ll be in an electric macan. I’d imagine road tax increases, petrol price increases, limits on where ice cars can go will make it very difficult to use and own an ice car. I suspect range and charging infrastructure will be pretty much there in 4 years time too. I know deep down an expensive thirsty car is probably as silly purchase in these times but it’s a box I must tick 😂
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

MikeM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:12 pm “Cash is King” any other funding form is just additional cost of ownership.
When people talk about matching or beating a return through investment they rarely consider the tax implications. If you have the available cash use it.
Completely agree.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Winryn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 pm
Neil1911 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 pm
As much as it pains me to admit it, I’d imagine I’ll be in an electric macan. I’d imagine road tax increases, petrol price increases, limits on where ice cars can go will make it very difficult to use and own an ice car. I suspect range and charging infrastructure will be pretty much there in 4 years time too. I know deep down an expensive thirsty car is probably as silly purchase in these times but it’s a box I must tick 😂
I may well take it off your hands when that time comes. I won't want to go anywhere that bans them unless that includes the Highlands, N Yorks and the Brecon Beacons ☺
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

I've done PCP, loans and cash in the past and having been in debt in the previously I have an aversion to any sort of credit now. This is my most expensive car purchase so I went down the cash route but I didn't want to use any savings so I did a bit of research, placed my bet on the stock market and a few months later came away with enough profit to purchase my Turbo outright. SE at Reading wanted to sell me the finance and when I said I'll pay cash, they said 'Oh you don't want to do that, you could be using that cash for something else ...'.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose