Apple Air Tags for vehicle tracking

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Bazza06 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:02 pm I would not rely on Air Tags, or similar devices, as a vehicle tracker.
By all means, stick one in your car, but don't expect it to do the job of a dedicated vehicle location and recovery service.

If you want to add a vehicle tracker, have a live tracker installed and a battery powered standalone device that is secreted within the body of the vehicle.
If the car is stolen by professionals, they'll rip the live tracker out and most will think it's job done.

The standalone tracker will be in sleep mode. But once it awakes, it will send its location.

If the car is underground, in a container or in an area that can't pick up the signal, a decent tracker installer will utilise the data it last received and identify the area the vehicle is most likely to be.
It will then attend the area and engage further equipment to narrow down the location.

Sadly, there aren't many of these companies that will or can do this.
An abundance of companies will sell you a tracker, but few have the technical experience to decipher the data they receive, despite what they say.
ta. I was only ever considering it as an addition/backup. Trackers and air tags use a completely different tech, so if one fails the other “may” work. As its very cheap I think it may be worth a punt.

Kevthegas

Post by Kevthegas »

The Porsche tracker contract is ending for me this month, I will not be renewing it as it is very slow to respond and when it does think a theft has happened it stops showing
the location of the car ???
The batteries have again failed, twice now in 2 years. I have requested they cancel the contract early. Half an hour on Saturday night to receive a phone call after activating, previously 3 hours when I had forgotten the transponder !

I have a Vodafone Curve in My Vw California, although not perfect it is hidden away and notifies me every time the vehicle moves. Even shows route history on the app.
It was only about £12 to buy and only £2 a month.

Much better value.
2018 GTS
1993 968
1985 944
Deleted User 4436

https://apple.news/ANWW7_W6hQrCDJ5e02AoKCQ

Seems I’m not the only one to have this idea
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:15 pm https://apple.news/ANWW7_W6hQrCDJ5e02AoKCQ

Only one way to find out if its workable ... full review expected.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Deleted User 4436

mueslibrown wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:52 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:15 pm https://apple.news/ANWW7_W6hQrCDJ5e02AoKCQ

Only one way to find out if its workable ... full review expected.
Given the cost I’ll give it a go. If its no good I’ll bung the tracker in my laptop bag.