Apple Air Tags for vehicle tracking

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Have any of you had much experience of using Apple Air Tags? I know the Macan comes with a tracker ( which requires activation) but I was thinking of buying an air tag, as they are cheap, and secreting it somewhere in the car. There are lots of stories of people finding them on their cars and worried they were being tracked, I wonder if this could be used to intentionally track the car if it got nicked.

Its a scary thought that thieves could stick one on your car and then track the car back to your house or see where you leave it every day šŸ˜³

mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Some interesting issues to consider for this use case ... https://appleinsider.com/inside/airtags
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Deleted User 4436

mueslibrown wrote: ā†‘Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm Some interesting issues to consider for this use case ... https://appleinsider.com/inside/airtags
you need the kindly sole that half-inched your motor, or one of his/her/non-binary pronoun chums, to have an apple device of some kind for it to work. You'd also need to cover it up so they can't hear it chirping. TBH, for the price I am tempted to get one and give it a go and see how well it works (or doesn't). I can always re-attach it to my bag of marbles if it doesn't work in the car. I'm always losing those.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I have AirTags on keys.

I've posted before about trackers - I use Coban 303 devices that cost as little as Ā£20 and a Ā£10 SIM lasts two years. Can either 'call' the tracker and get its location or track movement realtime

Happy to provide more info if wanted
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

If you can provide more info that would be great.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Iā€™ve always thought if anyone took my car I wouldnā€™t want it back šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Friend recently had his 3 year old Range Rover stolen (scanned and cloned keyless go) insurance company paid out full considered value for age. However he now finds that due to the current increase in used prices, in order to replace ā€œas isā€ he is looking at a major shortfall.
Previous Porscheā€™s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport (basalt)
2012. 991 Carrera S (sapphire)
2016. Macan Turbo (volcano)
Current
2020. Macan GTS (crayon)
2024. Macan GTS (gentian) sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 4436

MikeM wrote: ā†‘Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am Friend recently had his 3 year old Range Rover stolen (scanned and cloned keyless go) insurance company paid out full considered value for age. However he now finds that due to the current increase in used prices, in order to replace ā€œas isā€ he is looking at a major shortfall.
Good point, hadnā€™t thought about that. Insurance doesnā€™t allow for the car value to increase, mainly because ( with a few exceptions for rare cars ) it never happensā€¦ā€¦or didnā€™t. The last couple of years have been very strange
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Vodafone also do a tag tracker, fairly cheap so I bought one to attach to our dogs collar.

What a load of cr4p.

The App would not pick up the dog that I could see 200m away and even close by she would be back for her dog treat before the app updated itself.

The Vodafone tag is now in the recycling bin.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20ā€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I would not rely on Air Tags, or similar devices, as a vehicle tracker.
By all means, stick one in your car, but don't expect it to do the job of a dedicated vehicle location and recovery service.

If you want to add a vehicle tracker, have a live tracker installed and a battery powered standalone device that is secreted within the body of the vehicle.
If the car is stolen by professionals, they'll rip the live tracker out and most will think it's job done.

The standalone tracker will be in sleep mode. But once it awakes, it will send its location.

If the car is underground, in a container or in an area that can't pick up the signal, a decent tracker installer will utilise the data it last received and identify the area the vehicle is most likely to be.
It will then attend the area and engage further equipment to narrow down the location.

Sadly, there aren't many of these companies that will or can do this.
An abundance of companies will sell you a tracker, but few have the technical experience to decipher the data they receive, despite what they say.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver