Gen 3 Insurance

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

This has been popping up on various threads as people are starting to get their cars, but I though it worthy of its own thread.

I, and I suspect others here, had assumed that when our cars arrived we'd phone our insurance companies and off we'd trot with our lovely new Macans. However, as others have mentioned, this is turning out to be a tad more complicated than it has any right to be.

I have checked all the usual suspects on line (Admiral, Go Compare, Money Supermarket, DirectLine, etc) and none of them currently have the 2022MY S and GTS in their list of cars. They all have the old S, GTS and Turbo with their relevant engine sizes. This means, especially if you are buying an S, there is no way of selecting the 2.9ltr engine (although the specs for the GTS will also be wrong as, although the engine size stays the same the BHP will change) This means you can not insure, and therefore drive, your car.

I've just spoke to Direct Line and they have confirmed the 2.9L S isn't even showing up as a new car to be added to their list over the next couple of months (they review all new cars once per month apparently). If it is showing up as "will be added" but isn't there yet they can work out the insurance based on an equivalent car, but as its not showing up at all they wont be able to offer insurance. I currently use direct line so this is especially painful for me. The very nice, and extremely helpful lady I spoke to said she thinks it "should" be ok by early/mid Nov but the fact that she spoke to lots of people trying to get a full answer and they said they had no notification at all about the new model doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Has anyone managed to get insurance, or even a quote for their 2022MY Macan ?
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

I’ve not tried yet but hoping by November it will be sorted

What’s the alternative option - can you buy insurance via the dealership to tide you over a couple of months?
Deleted User 4436

sd1985 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:39 pm I’ve not tried yet but hoping by November it will be sorted

What’s the alternative option - can you buy insurance via the dealership to tide you over a couple of months?
I just had a look on the Porsche website as they provide direct insurance BUT it is provided through Aviva, who are one of the ones I checked on line that aren't showing the new models.

Porsche do provide "drive home" insurance, which I believe lasts for 5 days. So you can get it home but you wont be allowed to drive it afterwards. Worse still, if it is stolen from your drive or crashed into, then you wont have any insurance so will lose all your money. Not sure if its even acceptable to have a car on PCP without showing proof of insrance.

All a bit of a mess potentially.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Omni, you can't register or tax a vehicle without insurance. I do think you don't need to worry. This isn't a brand new car. It's an upgrade. If you ensure your new GTS as a Turbo and new S as a GTS and inform the insurance company you would have done sufficient.
In real world terms there is nothing between the repair/replacement cost of these vehicles.
0-60 times and top speed are not relevant at this level.
They won't be trying to turn your custom away I cam assure you!!!
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:43 pm
sd1985 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:39 pm I’ve not tried yet but hoping by November it will be sorted

I just had a look on the Porsche website as they provide direct insurance BUT it is provided through Aviva, who are one of the ones I checked on line that aren't showing the new models.

Porsche do provide "drive home" insurance, which I believe lasts for 5 days. So you can get it home but you wont be allowed to drive it afterwards. Worse still, if it is stolen from your drive or crashed into, then you wont have any insurance so will lose all your money. Not sure if its even acceptable to have a car on PCP without showing proof of insrance.

All a bit of a mess potentially.
Personally I'd probably rather the OPC held onto it for a while than drive it home and have it on the driveway without insurance.
Deleted User 4436

Nelladrahcir wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 pm Omni, you can't register or tax a vehicle without insurance. I do think you don't need to worry. This isn't a brand new car. It's an upgrade. If you ensure your new GTS as a Turbo and new S as a GTS and inform the insurance company you would have done sufficient.
In real world terms there is nothing between the repair/replacement cost of these vehicles.
They just did though. If I had the car today, as other have, Directline said they would not be able to insure me.
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 pm Omni, you can't register or tax a vehicle without insurance. I do think you don't need to worry. This isn't a brand new car. It's an upgrade. If you ensure your new GTS as a Turbo and new S as a GTS and inform the insurance company you would have done sufficient.
Be careful with this advice as without an insurance company/underwriter at an insurance company agreeing to this(in writing), yes you will get insured and have insurance certificate, but if you need to claim on it they could argue you have not insured the correct car therefore the insurance is not valid.

Each to their own on what they want to do etc
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

BanZ wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:07 pm
Be careful with this advice as without an insurance company/underwriter at an insurance company agreeing to this(in writing), yes you will get insured and have insurance certificate, but if you need to claim on it they could argue you have not insured the correct car therefore the insurance is not valid.

Each to their own on what they want to do etc
I totally agree with this. Insurance companies will look for any reason not to give you a pay out.

What was also infuriating of not being able to continue my insurance with the new car is that now I’ve lost out on the 6 months of no claims I’ve accumulated so far this year. I also have a multi car policy which now has become a single policy. They’ve refunded my remaining months and did say if I chose to remove the other car on the multi car policy they would do so without any penalties given the situation.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I didn't suggest doing without speaking to your insurance company !!!!

And I only look stupid!!!!!

Hand on head emoji!?!?!?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Has anyone obtained an insurance quote for the new Macan - Gen 3?