Porsche Connect

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

September renewal was £159, I get my money's worth out of it so no complaints.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I received an email from Porsche to activate the Connect services.
I haven't actually received the vehicle yet, but I have gone ahead and registered.

Once I receive the vehicle, do I need to provide a SIM card to utilise the Connect services?

I did on my previous Macan, but this was 5 years ago, and I wondered if anything has changed.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:42 pm I received an email from Porsche to activate the Connect services.
I haven't actually received the vehicle yet, but I have gone ahead and registered.

Once I receive the vehicle, do I need to provide a SIM card to utilise the Connect services?

I did on my previous Macan, but this was 5 years ago, and I wondered if anything has changed.
No
They will connect you up on your phone when you are in for car.
Download the Porsche connect App to your phone and it will save you time

No need for a SIM
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

hood69 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:42 pm I received an email from Porsche to activate the Connect services.

No

No need for a SIM
Connect services having nothing to do with the phone, they are provided through the car’s built-in SIM. Likewise, the Porsche Connect App is not required for the Connect services in the car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:26 pm
hood69 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 pm

No

No need for a SIM
Connect services having nothing to do with the phone, they are provided through the car’s built-in SIM. Likewise, the Porsche Connect App is not required for the Connect services in the car.
Not saying it's necessary to do it through the phone but seems to be the easiest way to register the car on connect when in the dealership.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I’m a little confused.

If the Connect services have nothing to do with the phone, do I have to subscribe to their data services package to take advantage of them, or can my phone act as the data provider?

Their data package is £19 per month.

218DBE34-013D-4FE5-A919-2E38D56B619E.jpeg

Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

Bazza06 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:38 pm I’m a little confused.

If the Connect services have nothing to do with the phone, do I have to subscribe to their data services package to take advantage of them, or can my phone act as the data provider?

[/quote

Connect services ( Nav and info) operate for the initial free period irrespective of any data package. The data package only adds data to be used for in-car wifi and music streaming. However, they can be provided independently via an owner provided sim if the vehicle has a sim slot or via the owner's phone. Device manager under the phone menu lets the driver set which sim is used for which service.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

pmg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 pm

[/quote

Connect services ( Nav and info) operate for the initial free period irrespective of any data package. The data package only adds data to be used for in-car wifi and music streaming. However, they can be provided independently via an owner provided sim if the vehicle has a sim slot or via the owner's phone. Device manager under the phone menu lets the driver set which sim is used for which service.
Thank you, PMG.
I will check whether GEN3 has a SIM slot.
My previous GEN2 did, but I don't know about the GEN3. I don't get my hands on it until next week.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Bazza06 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 pm
pmg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 pm

[/quote

Thank you, PMG.
I will check whether GEN3 has a SIM slot.
My previous GEN2 did, but I don't know about the GEN3. I don't get my hands on it until next week.
Apparently, based in other posts, the Gen 3 has neither a sim nor an SD slot
Lanmate

Post by Lanmate »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 pm Apparently, based in other posts, the Gen 3 has neither a sim nor an SD slot
I was in a Gen3 GTS for a test drive this week and I specifically looked for this based on reading this forum beforehand, it had both slots.
Gen3 GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPRAXAE8

Ordered 11th Aug 2021, Arrived OPC 7th Oct 2022, Collected 9th Dec 2022