Macan Security

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Once parked in a home base car park at 'the far end' completely away fro all other vehicles only to come out and find a woman getting out of her car which was parked so close to my driver's sdie that I could not get in. I asked (nicely) is she could move it so I could get in and he happily obliged. Before I left I asked her why she had chosen to park where he did. She replied that she finds it easier to park when she has something to aim at...............................!!!!!
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

The most important consideration when buying a tracker is the level of service you will receive from the company you purchase it from when you most need it - after the car has been stolen.
Buying a tracker is the easy part, and despite what you might be told, they are not all the same, and they do not guarantee to be able to locate your vehicle - far from it.

Thieves that steal high-end cars tend to expect them to have a tracker, so they will either park the vehicle on a residential road for a few days and when they return, they assume the car is free of a tracker.
Alternatively, they will move it to a container, underground car park or shielded garage.

From there, they will pull the car apart to locate the device.

However, if the vehicle is being stolen for parts, then forget it, it will be dismantled in hours, packed and moved on.

An experienced supplier and installer of trackers, will also offer a locate and recovery service. They will not depend on the tracker having sight of a satellite to give them the location, but will work from the data last received to narrow down the likely position.
Following this, it becomes a very manual process to finalise the position, liaise with the police and secure recovery.

None of this is easy work!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

So what about the Porsche tracker? Is it worth the subscription and does anyone know how much it is?
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
andreas

Post by andreas »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:44 pm So what about the Porsche tracker? Is it worth the subscription and does anyone know how much it is?
I paid the subscription for the Porsche-supplied Vodafone tracker when I first got my Macan. After a few months, I cancelled it, as the system didn't seem fit for purpose. Despite having the required keyfob on me, I constantly got phone calls when I was driving, telling me my car had been stolen. Vodafone had several goes at reconfiguring the fob, I installed new batteries, etc, but all to no avail. I'd never recommend it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

I’ve had the Vodafone tracker since the car was new and not had any trouble with it. Except when the battery in the fob went flat after less than a year. It’s expensive but then it is monitored so if the car is taken when I’m asleep or away from it I’ll be notified.

The Automatrics tracker looks a good half way house as it includes a separate frequency radio tracker and doesn’t rely on GPS. Their Youtube videos are entertaining although not updated for a while.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)