Long Life Condition Report

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

(I also posted this elsewhere, apologies if you've already seen it, just spreading the word).

Do you know what a "long life condition report" is? If not, read on. If you do, maybe you can add some info below...
My car was recently booked into Porsche Brooklands to investigate well known issues with the transfer gear. Actually the second time I'd booked it in for this - the first time they claimed they hadn't found a problem and tried to charge me for the diagnostic time. This was waived in the end when they agreed to charge those costs back when the transfer box work was done in future.

As the car became almost undriveable over time, we booked it in this second time and, a little while before it was going in, I found water in the boot. Ah, I thought, I've got the leaking sunroof thing now!

Car went in for investigation of both of these faults (and one-touch window closure problem on the drivers door) and they confirmed both problems. Said they'd order the transfer gear in and book both jobs in for another time. The water ingress problem was expected to take a lot of time, drying out, tracing source of leak etc, and they'd need the car for a whole week. We had to push the rebooking out a further week to allow them time for this and give us a loan car in the meantime - exciting 1.2 Ford Fiesta!

Car went in as planned on day 1, Wednesday this week, and we got a call to explain that the warranty wouldn't cover the sunroof leak. Apparently our car doesn't have a "long life condition report" and one is required to keep the warranty valid.
I thought I knew everything there was to know about Macan ownership at this point, but this was a new one on me. Not only did I not have a "long life condition report", I didn't even know what one was.

It should have been done at 2 years old, explained the guy from Brooklands, but as you haven't got one we can't make a warranty claim. So why didn't you do the report when it was 2 year old? Oh, we don't usually do them, it's something we do as part of a service.
To provide background, our car was first registered in March 2018. When we bought it in December 2019, it was almost due it's first 2yr/20k service. We asked the supplying dealer (Bristol) to throw in the first service as part of the deal, which they did. So the first minor service was performed a few months early in December 2019. At this point, as I understand it, the "report" wasn't due as the car was not two years old. Of course I didn't even know such a report existed at that point, nor that I might need one in future. I'd happily throw Bristol under the bus here if I felt it necessary, our purchase experience there was far from smooth, but I don't believe they were required to do this report at that time. Some advice that it was due would have been nice, but this could easily have been picked up later.

Having the December 2019 service meant the next service due would be another Minor in December 2021 and a Major in March 2022 when the car turned four years old.

Since we got there the car has been in to Brooklands for a new windscreen, for a tow bar fitting, for recall work and for some warranty work. It also went in for an MOT in March 21, when the car turned 3 years old, and the transfer box inspection earlier in the year. Not once has Porsche Brooklands advised I would need a "report", that my "report" was due or that my "report" was out of date.

It's even been in twice to top-up the oil. I do nothing myself, leave nothing to chance - I'm the guy who famously called out Porsche Assistance to fix a wiper arm issue. It's an expensive car and I wanted nothing to get in the way of any potential warranty claims.
So here I am with a leaking car in the rain and no warranty to repair it. Brooklands want £1500, which is quite ridiculous.

Apparently all I can do is log a case with Porsche GB for investigation, which I did on Thursday, but I haven't heard anything back since.

Porsche Brooklands have done nothing to help here. If you haven't got a warranty, and don't want to pay, they've done all they can. I've used them exclusively for all of my maintenance/accessories since purchase. Taking in all of their advice and information. We booked the next December service in back in February to ensure I didn't miss the date. Nothing at all left to chance. I asked every question I thought needed answering, put money aside for servicing and warranty renewal when it is due. Just did everything I could and now I'm missing a required report and nobody seems prepared to help me. Brooklands even told me they weren't going to clean the car as it might leak under pressure washing.

So if you've bought, or are buying, a used car that is 2 years old - ensure it has a "long term vehicle report". Without one, you'll be a bit screwed if you need to claim. Apparently they check the roof gutters as part of this report and, if any maintenance is needed, this should be covered by warranty. If, however, nobody produces the report, then the gutter checks aren't done, and your warranty is invalid.

So that's the summary of the situation, hope it prevents somebody else from ending up in my position.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like a rubbish ownership experience. :(

But hopefully your share will potentially help others.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Almost beyond comprehension, that has to qualify as negligence on their part surely!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I think you should take legal advice on this.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I cannot ever recall anyone posting about Long Life condition reports . Will make sure in the future to ensure I get one at 2 years old - that’s if I ever keep a car for 2 years😄
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

Strange one. If you bought your car from an OPC and have followed all Porsche service requirements via an OPC then I’d struggle to see how they have any case. The report is their own internal process and responsibility, it’s not your obligation or any contractual or compliance requirement on you. Think that goes in the ‘thanks for letting me know but not my problem’ file, just do the work please.

Hope you get it resolve it.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I have not been down to my car to check, but from memory, in the service book, there is a box to be ticked and a car shown for them to mark any body damage. When I took my Macan in for its 2-year service the service receptionist came out just after I had checked in and walked around the car to confirm no damage.

Again from memory, the service book mentions the report has a condition to be meant for the warranty to apply. When I next go to the car, I will check whether the wording implies just the body/paintwork warranty or the whole warranty. it seems harsh to punish non compliance of a body/paintwork test to a mechanical matter.

I am also wondering what happens if as likely now lockdowns look to be over, I reach the mileage for the second full service after 18 months rather than two years. Will the Long life condition report be done then or say 6 months later when I expect the car to be at the OPC for its winter to summer wheelset swop?

BMW had a similar regular bodywork inspection for their ( paintwork/body) warranty.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 pm When I took my Macan in for its 2-year service the service receptionist came out just after I had checked in and walked around the car to confirm no damage.
The service receptionist at Swindon has done that recently a couple of times with my car. Isn’t it simply to check for damage when the car is checked in, in case I later claim that Porsche have damaged my car while it was in their care?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:16 pm
pmg wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 pm When I took my Macan in for its 2-year service the service receptionist came out just after I had checked in and walked around the car to confirm no damage.
The service receptionist at Swindon has done that recently a couple of times with my car. Isn’t it simply to check for damage when the car is checked in, in case I later claim that Porsche have damaged my car while it was in their care?
I didn't gain the impression it was just that from the words the receptionist used at the time.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MH82

Post by MH82 »

Going to be honest I thought the long life thing was only relevant to the rust warranty
2022 GTS order cancelled
2023 718 Spyder order cancelled
Gone rogue and bought an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S :shock: