Gtechniq Treatment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Beaverman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:48 am
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:45 pm
Beaverman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:44 pm I’m having PPF on mine on Monday. I’ll post up some pics when done and give my honest opinion of what I think. Although the benefit really is a couple of years down the line when you shouldn’t have any stone chips.
you having the whole car done or just the parts most likely to get chipped ?
Just the front end so full bonnet, bumper, front wings, a pillars, wing mirrors and apparently the first foot of the roof.
If you don’t mind me asking,how much are you paying for that? :D
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 am
Tracky wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:09 pm
Sweetmeister wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:56 pm

If you take it to your local car wash, don’t bother with the treatment,save yourself about £600ish. PPF Iis a kind of film coating that can be fitted to your car usually on the front but can go anywhere , it’s good for preventing stone chips etc. :D
Surely having the ceramic on will go some way to prevent the paint getting damaged by the cowboy car washers !!
No is the simple answer .Ceramic coating won’t stop your local car washer with a sponge from swirling the paint.
It should help a lot if it is done properly !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Tracky wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:54 am
Tracky wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:09 pm

Surely having the ceramic on will go some way to prevent the paint getting damaged by the cowboy car washers !!
No is the simple answer .Ceramic coating won’t stop your local car washer with a sponge from swirling the paint.
It won’t stop swirling,if like he says, he takes it to his local car wash who will use the same sponge on every car. :shock:
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
pmg

Post by pmg »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 am

It won’t stop swirling,if like he says, he takes it to his local car wash who will use the same sponge on every car. :shock:
I agree with Tracky, a properly applied ceramic coat will reduce most swirling. It won't stop scratching, it will reduce but not completely stop stone chips. There has to be something on the sponge that can penetrate the ceramic coat for damage to the paintwork beneath to occur. You are more likely to get swirling if the car has wax applied. Hence the habit that built up of clay bar use to remove the swirling that had built up in wax coats.

Very few of these treatments are 100% effective but they are highly effective. I have had my last 3 cars ceramic coated and no wax and done little care other than pressure wash and snow form and towel dry. Their paintwork condition after 5 years has better than my previous cars which had wax.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 am

I agree with Tracky, a properly applied ceramic coat will reduce most swirling. It won't stop scratching, it will reduce but not completely stop stone chips. There has to be something on the sponge that can penetrate the ceramic coat for damage to the paintwork beneath to occur. You are more likely to get swirling if the car has wax applied. Hence the habit that built up of clay bar use to remove the swirling that had built up in wax coats.

Very few of these treatments are 100% effective but they are highly effective. I have had my last 3 cars ceramic coated and no wax and done little care other than pressure wash and snow form and towel dry. Their paintwork condition after 5 years has better than my previous cars which had wax.
You are missing the point, if you wash/care for your car properly ie snow foam etc etc then yes it would help, if like the OP says he takes it to his local car wash,then one bad wash with a dirty sponge will easily penetrate the ceramic coating and scratch/swirl the car. It’s there to repel water and contaminants not prevent scratches or swirls. It will offer no protection against stone chips, and if your detailer is telling you it does,then he’s lying.You need PPF for that. :)
Last edited by Sweetmeister on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 am

You are missing the point, if you wash/care for your car properly ie snow foam etc etc then yes it would help, if like the OP says he takes it to his local car wash,then one bad wash with a dirty sponge will easily penetrate the ceramic coating and scratch/swirl the car. It’s there to repel water and contaminants not prevent scratches or swirls. :D
Read what I said basically "Ceramic treatment offers some but not total protection against scratches and swirls." So a car with ceramic treatment taken regularly to the local Romanian staffed car wash will look better than one regularly taken without the treatment.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

pmg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 am

You are missing the point, if you wash/care for your car properly ie snow foam etc etc then yes it would help, if like the OP says he takes it to his local car wash,then one bad wash with a dirty sponge will easily penetrate the ceramic coating and scratch/swirl the car. It’s there to repel water and contaminants not prevent scratches or swirls. :D
Read what I said basically "Ceramic treatment offers some but not total protection against scratches and swirls." So a car with ceramic treatment taken regularly to the local Romanian staffed car wash will look better than one regularly taken without the treatment.
No it won’t,!! If he takes it to the same car wash every week then the protection is broken down after literally one bad wash. Both cars would look the same. The coating is only 1-3 microns thick and is removed easily with a bad wash.
It offers no protection against stone chips.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:51 am
pmg wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 am

No it won’t,!! If he takes it to the same car wash every week then the protection is broken down after literally one bad wash. Both cars would look the same. The coating is only 1-3 microns thick and is removed easily with a bad wash.
It offers no protection against stone chips.
I’m not hearing a great deal of benefit over just washing the car yourself ( carefully) for the significant outlay of cash. Think all my car washing paraphernalia and jars of goop are safe. No paint protection for me,
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

You are missing the point, if you wash/care for your car properly ie snow foam etc etc then yes it would help, if like the OP says he takes it to his local car wash,then one bad wash with a dirty sponge will easily penetrate the ceramic coating and scratch/swirl the car. It’s there to repel water and contaminants not prevent scratches or swirls. It will offer no protection against stone chips, and if your detailer is telling you it does,then he’s lying.You need PPF for that. :)
We didn't say it would protect from stone chips but it will help protect it from swirling as it puts layer between it and paint
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Interesting thread but for those that think that a ceramic coating will afford some protection against stone chips and the local car washers methods “AKA Wash & Scratch” go ahead. If you are going to throw money at protecting your car that’s a good thing but also spend some on decent washing kit and Do It Yourself. 🤨🤐
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6