Gtechniq Treatment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I know this has been mentioned in a number of other posts but wanted to ask some straight questions on this. My OPC has just asked if I want the Gtechniq treatment applied to my car when it arrives. I have a few questions for those that are in the know:

1. Is it any good? Being a bit fussy about such things I tend to clean and wax (or resin polish) my cars a lot. Will having this treatment offer any more than lots of cleaning and waxing ?
2. After 6 months would you be able to tell the difference?
3. Can they just treat the outside? Had the inside of my BMW done and it stank of chemicals for weeks.

So all in all, is this worth it? Currently I am thinking not, especially if it delays the car a few extra days

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

How much are they charging and what are they offering in terms of products ? - a full decon, minimal polish and quality coatings is going to be £500+ at the proper detailer, more for the interior treatments. Do not think a new car will be ready for coatings, far from it. If you want the full works with Exo etc then a detailer will be looking nearer £900 for a car the size of the Macan.

I decon'd, lightly polished and coated my last Discover Sport with C1, topped with C2v3 every few weeks as a drying aid.

Did the coating reduce wash induced swirls over the ownership period ? - possibly
Did it bead as well as a quality wax applied 3-4 times a year ? - initially yes, but after 6 months i'd say no.
Did i itch to wax it ? - of course i did, i like to keep on top of things and love good water beading

What have i done with my newly acquired Macan ? - decon'd , polished it and coated with Zymol Glassur, and more than happy to apply it every 4-6 months. I did coat the wheels with Gtechniq C5 after a decon and polish

After a polish with Menzerna 2200/3800..

and this morning, 100 miles after cleaning and also sitting outside for 2 days gathering dust etc

Why go back to wax ? I have a load of Zymol potions and tubs of wax.

It really depends on how much time / desire you have to maintain it over time - ceramics are easier to look after but if, like me, you LIKE to clean a car then maybe they are not for you
Last edited by Percymon on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 4436

thanks. Love the last picture, very "arty"

Cost is £660 for inside and out including aftercare package. I don't really want the inside done though. No young kids or pets so it should stay ok without being treated. Paperwork says "GtechNiq Platinum ceramic coating"

Can you not use regular carnauba wax or resin polish on a car that has been treated then? If so, think I'll leave it. Nothing more satisfying than spending 4 hrs on a Sunday getting that show car look with some Pour Boys natty paste after a good clay barring.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

You can apply anything over the ceramic but you'll clog up the ceramic and any wax might not bond as well as to raw paint.

Alternatively you could forego the offer from the OPC and just use something like Gyeon Cancoat applied easily by yourself and get the benefits of a ceramic coating for £35 and 6+ months protection.

With any coating or wax, the result is only as good as the prep work.

I do love a beading photo or two..

Gtechniq C1 on my old Countryman..

Zymol on my old Leaf..

Zymol on my Audi A3, taken ca 8 years ago..

I guess i'm a wax man at heart !
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I had the Gtecniq treatment on my Macan in August 2019, it still looks as good as new and all I do is snowfoam it every few weeks and wash down with a wool mitt in plenty of clean water. Nothing more required and it only takes a hour to make it look good again.
Gone are my days of spending a whole day washing/polishing, Id rather spend the time with the family and still have a very clean car. Worth every penny in my opinion.

But, I wouldn't have it done at the dealer, it needs to be done by a proper detailer with the correct preparation.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Deleted User 4436

Previous car

IMG_2112[1].JPG

Deleted User 4436

Kleynie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm I had the Gtecniq treatment on my Macan in August 2019, it still looks as good as new and all I do is snowfoam it every few weeks and wash down with a wool mitt in plenty of clean water. Nothing more required and it only takes a hour to make it look good again.
Gone are my days of spending a whole day washing/polishing, Id rather spend the time with the family and still have a very clean car. Worth every penny in my opinion.

But, I wouldn't have it done at the dealer, it needs to be done by a proper detailer with the correct preparation.
Thanks
pmg

Post by pmg »

1) read the Col's excellent thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5106

2) I agree with Kleynie's reply except I would argue paint correction is less needed or worthwhile with the lighter colours. With the darker ones like volcanic grey which easily show swirl marks the extra cost and delay of a full detail is more worthwhile.

On my Dolomite Silver Macan i had the Gtechiq Platinhham treatment and have been very happy with it, the protection and easy of cleaning and 6 monthly top-up with Gtechiq C2
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
andreas

Post by andreas »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Cost is £660 for inside and out including aftercare package. I don't really want the inside done though. No young kids or pets so it should stay ok without being treated. Paperwork says "GtechNiq Platinum ceramic coating"
Gtechniq Platinum is a dealer-applied coating. My Macan was supposedly given it for free as part of the ordering negotiation. Frankly, I don't think they did anything to it! And I never received the "guarantee" certificate. The sort of people who wash cars at dealerships aren't professional detailers, and can't be expected to apply Gtechniq properly. It's just a big profit opportunity for the dealership (like gap insurance, tyre insurance, wheel insurance, etc)

If you want Gtechniq on your car, take it to a professional detailer after collection and get it done properly.

Now for the controversial stuff. I don't believe in touching car paintwork any more than is strictly necessary. So I don't believe in polishing it, which is just an opportunity to introduce swirls. Instead, I only wash my cars very gently with a microfibre mitt, using the 2-bucket method with wash'n'wax. Then I rinse them with resin-filtered water. Then I leave them to dry. That's it. Here are pics of my Macan, plus my 10 year old Freelander. Neither car has been polished.

IMG_20190914_190826140.jpg

IMG_20210813_175259078_HDR.jpg

Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As stated please read the thread that I started many years ago, its content is still valid.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5106&hilit=Washing+and+detailing

66159EE3-C88E-450F-BDEA-D0B52A2B696D.jpeg

My Turbo this year (below) and as it was when I collected it from the Pro Detailer (above) after they gave it the full external monty, I specifically instructed them not to treat anything internally and five years later it still looks like new inside, but I do keep it as clean as I can and treat and condition the leather, I am allergic to certain chemical products (especially Autoglym) and for over 20 years I have used Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner products in my cars without and reaction and they have done a great job.. Externally the treatment has held up very well but it does require correct washing, drying and top up treatments (DIY works fine)

I would only ever have an OPC undertake the treatment IF they did a full paint correction first, my Pro Detailer had my car for three days, one day and a half they spent on paint correction and correcting the wheels, they spent half a day applying the treatments and the car stayed on jacks with wheels off for another full day, I left it overnight and collecyted it the following morning. An OPC is very unlikely to spend so much time and effort on a customer car.

Good luck

FE29F1F0-C241-4268-B0D9-9D2FB83F1825.jpeg

Last edited by Col Lamb on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags