Trackers - alternative view

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

With my new car imminent I was talking to someone about trackers. I always thought it seemed like a necessary evil but this someone suggested to me that I shouldn’t get one and rather spend the money on Return To Invoice GAP insurance on the basis that if the car was stolen I’d rather get a new one than the old one back (ignoring the fact that could take a year!)

I’d never thought of it in this way before. Other than the obvious effect on the insurance record, I’m interested to read other views on this given I need to make a decision tomorrow.

Cheers.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Given the value of a Cayenne GTS, you might struggle to get it insured without a tracker. Activating the inbuilt Porsche Connect system will "only" cost around £280 for one year with a saving if a two year subscription is taken out.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I, like others on here, didn’t activate them on the basis that they are a fag to carry around or to remember to take with you every time you move the car. Added to that quite a few users reported the service as being unreliable.

A number of us insured with NFU which included two years GAP, unfortunately they have radically reset their risk policy and have priced themselves out of the market in this sector. I believe other insurers have something similar though. Others no doubt will advise.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Paul1970 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:28 am With my new car imminent I was talking to someone about trackers. I always thought it seemed like a necessary evil but this someone suggested to me that I shouldn’t get one and rather spend the money on Return To Invoice GAP insurance on the basis that if the car was stolen I’d rather get a new one than the old one back (ignoring the fact that could take a year!)

I’d never thought of it in this way before. Other than the obvious effect on the insurance record, I’m interested to read other views on this given I need to make a decision tomorrow.

Cheers.
An OPC pushing a product they get commission on if they sell it i.e. GAP whereas they get no income from someone taking up the Vodapone tracker. Mind you you could always accept the logic of the argument and buy GAP from one of the far cheaper direct providers. However, their comment seems to ignore how long it takes to get a new Porsche at present.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

You don’t see to many Cayenne GTS specs about, it’s high value. Personally would have both, although with GAP if paying suggest ALA, or get the OPC to provide FOC. Got it with my Macan GTS.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I've not activated the Vodafone system on any of the Porsches I've bought since it appeared in my first Macan in 2014. Unreliable, inconvenient system backed up by unhelpful support combined with insurance companies no longer requiring it to secure cover makes it unnecessary.

I have been looking at the Ghost system which seems far simpler, much more convenient and on the face of it fairly secure.

https://autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I've given my view a few times on trackers, in fact, I wrote a thread on vehicle security a few years ago.
As a business user of a very competent and successful tracker installer, monitoring and recovery company, I am still anti-tracker for my own vehicle.

Many large fleet owning companies do not insure their vehicles, it is too expensive, and the costs often outweigh the loss.
However, they may choose to install trackers, as any recovery will reduce the bottom line.

When a vehicle is stolen, and particular prestige vehicles, thieves will expect the vehicle to have a tracker, so they may do one or two things.

1) They could park the vehicle in a residential road and return to it a few days later.
If it's still there, they will assume no tracker is installed and remove the vehicle for whatever purpose they have for it.

2) Alternatively, they will take the vehicle to a unit / container / underground location where there is no mobile signal or premises equipped with GPS jamming devices.
They will then strip the vehicle down, either because they intend to sell the parts or to locate the tracker.

The above assumes the vehicle itself is the sole interest of the thief, as prestige / high-powered vehicles are also stolen as a tool to facilitate other crimes.
The thief has no interest in the car other than its ability to help evade arrest if pursued by police.

I'm sure you can imagine the outcome of most of these vehicles, and that is why I would not want it back.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Miopyk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:54 am I've not activated the Vodafone system on any of the Porsches I've bought since it appeared in my first Macan in 2014. Unreliable, inconvenient system backed up by unhelpful support combined with insurance companies no longer requiring it to secure cover makes it unnecessary.

I have been looking at the Ghost system which seems far simpler, much more convenient and on the face of it fairly secure.

Interesting read, but I'd be concerned about

1. It going tits up as Teslas did this week and not being able to start the car and

2. The tec vermin use seems to catch up with the security tech within 'minutes'.

Might be cheaper to buy a bright yellow Disc-lock and then at least have the visible deterrence.

TBH I wouldn't want a stolen car back under any circumstances.

Just my thoughts.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Given that the market value of any Porsche < 12mths old is more than its list price, is GAP insurance necessary since most insurers will operate a new for old up to that age?
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:15 pm
Miopyk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:54 am I've not activated the Vodafone system on any of the Porsches I've bought since it appeared in my first Macan in 2014. Unreliable, inconvenient system backed up by unhelpful support combined with insurance companies no longer requiring it to secure cover makes it unnecessary.

Interesting read, but I'd be concerned about

1. It going tits up as Teslas did this week and not being able to start the car and

2. The tec vermin use seems to catch up with the security tech within 'minutes'.

Might be cheaper to buy a bright yellow Disc-lock and then at least have the visible deterrence.

TBH I wouldn't want a stolen car back under any circumstances.

Just my thoughts.
DiskLok is an excellent preventative measure.

As quick as manufacturers update vehicle software to counter Relay Attack devices, so the thieves adapt and reprogram.
When they see a Disklok they inevitably move on.

However, it really depends on the demand the thief has for the respective vehicle.
If it ticks all the boxes for the intended purpose, they will go a step further, which may include burglary / physical attack.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver