Noob questions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 pm
On-Track wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 am The Ferodo information was posted to support Rarecolour's argument. Unfortunately it doesn't, it recommends braking from 50mph to 20mph.

One of the basic laws of physics is E=M(C squared) where E is energy, M= Mass and C=velocity. So a mass (in this case a Macan) travelling at 70mph has 400 times the kinetic energy as one travelling at 50mph. The brakes use friction to convert this energy into heat. Ferodo warn that excessive heat can cause irreversible changes to the pad material.

Rarecolour would seem to be right about the initial bedding in but wrong about the speeds involved.
This isn’t correct btw.
In E=MC^2 C is the speed of light not the speed of a macan.
Kinetic energy is 1/2 mv^2. So @70 you’ve about double the energy of the same vehicle at 50.
I qualified from university 52 years ago so memories are more dark than light ;) . Thanks for the formula correction but as KE increases with the square of speed I still think my multiplier is correct.
Correction: you're right and I'm wrong. KE does increase with the square of speed but you have to subtract 50^2 from 70^2 so at 70 KE is slightly less than double that at 50.
My brain hurts :oops: :oops:
Last edited by On-Track on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Get a room you 2 :P
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 pm
On-Track wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:12 am
Wil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:24 pm Also, what does everyone think of the brakes? They felt pretty average to me on my drive home, but I’ve only done 20 miles, so they will probably improve with a bit of bedding in. I hope so anyway.
Your opening post has obviously generated a lot of heat (excuse the pun :D ) but by now your brakes should have settled in and you should be happy with the performance. Both Mercedes and Porsche brake systems have fairly long pedal travel. The Macan system is heavily servoed so stopping from medium to low speeds only requires a fairly small application. In the (thankfully) few occasions I've had to do a hard stop I always end up looking in the rear view mirror. I have absolute confidence I will stop short of the obstruction in front but don't know if the car behind me can.
You can say that again. I only said the brakes didn’t feel great.
Anyway, it’s done a couple of hundred miles now, but I’ve been out today in sleet/snow, so brake testing didn’t seem to be an ideal pastime. Pottering about trying not to crash seemed like a better idea.
I will make sure though that I keep everyone up to date as everyone seems to be quite invested in it. 😀
With my first Macan (and the Cayenne before it) I had a set of winter wheels for driving in sleet/snow/low temperatures. These days I have no pressing need to be anywhere so I stay at home when the weather deteriorates. BTW, I'm not trying to start a debate about winter wheels as views are just as heated on that topic.

For the first 5,000 miles or so you might find the engine uses a little oil (some do, some don't) after that oil consumption should be negligble.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

On-Track wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 am
On-Track wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 am The Ferodo information was posted to support Rarecolour's argument. Unfortunately it doesn't, it recommends braking from 50mph to 20mph.

One of the basic laws of physics is E=M(C squared) where E is energy, M= Mass and C=velocity. So a mass (in this case a Macan) travelling at 70mph has 400 times the kinetic energy as one travelling at 50mph. The brakes use friction to convert this energy into heat. Ferodo warn that excessive heat can cause irreversible changes to the pad material.

Rarecolour would seem to be right about the initial bedding in but wrong about the speeds involved.
This isn’t correct btw.
Kinetic energy is 1/2 mv^2. So @70 you’ve about double the energy of the same vehicle at 50.
I qualified from university 52 years ago so memories are more dark than light ;) . Thanks for the formula correction but as KE increases with the square of speed I still think my multiplier is correct.
Correction: you're right and I'm wrong. KE does increase with the square of speed but you have to subtract 50^2 from 70^2 so at 70 KE is slightly less than double that at 50.
I do like a bit of physics, so much more interesting than most of the dialogues on colour, wheel size and unnecessary twiddly bits! More intellectual stuff please!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Wil

Post by Wil »

On-Track wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 am

This isn’t correct btw.
Yeah, exactly right.

Essentially what this comes down to is that 7^2 is 49 and 5^2 is 25. So it’s about double, if you ignore the effects of drag, which also squares with speed….
Ftb

Post by Ftb »

Hi looking for some help
Is the Porsche Car Connect
For tracking your car in case it gets stolen
Or is it used to see vehicle details in the Porsche Car Connect app on my phone
Thanks
pmg

Post by pmg »

Ftb wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 pm Hi looking for some help
Is the Porsche Car Connect
For tracking your car in case it gets stolen
Or is it used to see vehicle details in the Porsche Car Connect app on my phone
Thanks
Car Connect is primarily the latter, but the car connect app does have a location screen to show you where the car is.

The additional Vodapone tracking service adds Vodapone notifying if the car moves without one of the tracker cards present in the car
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8