Noob questions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

happy days wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 pm IIRC, didn't Frentzen want Eddie Jordan to return his car to steel brakes as he thought they gave better feel? Or am I still delusional?
That could be true, no doubt. Far better feel, IMO.
I don't think anyone on here, drives their car to the limit, at least on the public road, for any prolonged period of time, to have a problem with the standard brakes being non effective. Ceramic discs are more effective and desired in competition use. The bonuses I can see for them on our road cars, are longer lasting, due to steel being ferreous and liable to rust. And less brake dust around the front wheels.

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 am The person posted....

"I gave the brakes a couple of good 70mph to 20mph hard stops within the first 2 miles of driving mine, I've never thought they were poor."

Interesting to find out the brakes work but my comment meant I would never advocate doing this to a new car as being new it will need to be bedded in gently.

I was then commenting on if they do this then how they drive their car generally and that the OPC Servicing Department aka Stealers would be happy with all the extra work for them.

I am a qualified professional driver and driving assessor with 30+ years experience.
You wouldn't advocate doing 70mph to 20mph hard braking cause the car is new and needs bedding in gently? Can't tell if this post is serious or not :?

You ever read brake pad company's advice on new pads?

You may be a qualified driver, I am as well. I'm also a mechanic so no how to treat a vehicle ;)
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

70mph to 20mph, twice, within 2 miles of OPC?!

So the OPC is adjacent to a motorway/dual carriageway. 🤔

Still sounds potentially dangerous unless the above-mentioned 70mph road was empty?! :o

I think this professional driver and driving assessor has his tongue in his cheek? ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:43 pm 70mph to 20mph, twice, within 2 miles of OPC?!

So the OPC is adjacent to a motorway/dual carriageway. 🤔

Still sounds potentially dangerous unless the above-mentioned 70mph road was empty?! :o

I think this professional driver and driving assessor has his tongue in his cheek? ;)
Wolverhampton OPC is on Junction 2 of the M54, and thankfully is very quiet at certain points in the day. Perfect for test drives and doing 70mph to 20mph hard stops 8-)
I did it 4 times, my couple is slightly off what everyone calls a couple. Works wonders when you've come back from the pub.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Alfie01

Post by Alfie01 »

Porsche pride themselves on their brakes stop as quick as it accelerates, so if the GTS goes 0-62 in 4.3 seconds then the braking will do the same or better. I drove a gen 3 S at Silverstone it only had 13 miles on the clock and had to do an emergency stop at 60 + and I can tell you the brakes are incredible. Blow me away how fast it stopped so don’t worry the brakes on the Macan are fine.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Alfie01 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 pm Porsche pride themselves on their brakes stop as quick as it accelerates, so if the GTS goes 0-62 in 4.3 seconds then the braking will do the same or better. I drove a gen 3 S at Silverstone it only had 13 miles on the clock and had to do an emergency stop at 60 + and I can tell you the brakes are incredible. Blow me away how fast it stopped so don’t worry the brakes on the Macan are fine.
The Porsche Standard is 60 to 0 in 1/2 o to 60 so 2.15.

They even meet for the most powerful Panamera which does 0 to 60 in about 3.6 and 60 to 0 in 1.8 secs despite the Panamera being a very big heavy vehicle
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:00 pm

"I gave the brakes a couple of good 70mph to 20mph hard stops within the first 2 miles of driving mine, I've never thought they were poor."

Interesting to find out the brakes work but my comment meant I would never advocate doing this to a new car as being new it will need to be bedded in gently.

I was then commenting on if they do this then how they drive their car generally and that the OPC Servicing Department aka Stealers would be happy with all the extra work for them.

I am a qualified professional driver and driving assessor with 30+ years experience.
You wouldn't advocate doing 70mph to 20mph hard braking cause the car is new and needs bedding in gently? Can't tell if this post is serious or not :?

You may be a qualified driver, I am as well. I'm also a mechanic so no how to treat a vehicle ;)
Yes I was being very serious. I'm not sure what type of mechanic you are but I suggest you read up on the subject. No brake pad company on the planet would advise doing what you did!

What you did is dangerous bordering on reckless.

Two miles is no distance to get to know any vehicle let alone carry hard braking on a brand new 2+ tonne car with brand new brakes/tyres.

A failure would have been catastrophic.

I will brake test every vehicle I drive as part of a full check but never from 70-20 'straight out the box'.

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that onem
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Part of the driving courses instruction we had, and I’ve had 26 weeks of them. Was that every time, the driver was changed, and the next one got into the driving seat, a cockpit drill had to be gone through, (what a palarva). Part of that drill was to undertake a moving vehicle brake test, as soon as we set off. The brakes were applied hard enough to establish, if any faults on the system became evident.
But it was only at a slow moving speed, approx’ 15 to 20 mph, and never a vicious application.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:07 am
Rarecolour wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Yes I was being very serious. I'm not sure what type of mechanic you are but I suggest you read up on the subject. No brake pad company on the planet would advise doing what you did!

What you did is dangerous bordering on reckless.

Two miles is no distance to get to know any vehicle let alone carry hard braking on a brand new 2+ tonne car with brand new brakes/tyres.

A failure would have been catastrophic.

I will brake test every vehicle I drive as part of a full check but never from 70-20 'straight out the box'.

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that onem

Screenshot_20211127_093101_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211127_093101_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211127_093048_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Screenshot_20211127_093754_com.android.chrome.jpg

To add, my car had over 50miles on the clock when I picked it up ;)

I have full faith in Porsches build quality "straight out the box".

But yeah, we can agree to disagree if you want Richard. I'll listen to the folk who do it for a living.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)