Service costs and warranty validity

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

Jaguar, Kia, Ford, all have much cheaper servicing bills. If you cant take the reality of cost for owning and maintaining a porsche - dont get it. Theres no rose without a thorn.
Lambos, Aston Martins and Ferraris all have ridiculous service charges. Owning a Nissan GRT - you have to service it every 5000miles! and it hefty price per service. Still, so many people buys these cars - why? because they can stomach the pain. If you cant stomach the pain, dont buy it.
I agree with Nick - Accept the truth or walk away.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Having come from JLR i wouldn't say their service bills were an awful lot better to be honest. The OPC costs come with the vehicle purchase, but there are equally as good ex Porsche techs operating in independents that will reduce costs as the cars get older; owners choices.
samandrew

Post by samandrew »

Greddyuk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:12 pm Jaguar, Kia, Ford, all have much cheaper servicing bills. If you cant take the reality of cost for owning and maintaining a porsche - dont get it. Theres no rose without a thorn.
Lambos, Aston Martins and Ferraris all have ridiculous service charges. Owning a Nissan GRT - you have to service it every 5000miles! and it hefty price per service. Still, so many people buys these cars - why? because they can stomach the pain. If you cant stomach the pain, dont buy it.
2 year minor service on my Cayman was £500. Annual service cost on my Fiesta is £250. So over a 3 year deal my Fiesta will cost more to service haha.
Previous Porsches - 944, 928, 986, 981
Macan S on order
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Greddyuk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:12 pm Jaguar, Kia, Ford, all have much cheaper servicing bills. If you cant take the reality of cost for owning and maintaining a porsche - dont get it. Theres no rose without a thorn.
I don’t entirely agree with this - the Macan is a mass produced entry level Porsche based on a 9 year old Q5 platform. Let’s not run away with the idea that because you are buying a Porsche, service costs shouldn’t matter, they do!
If budget was irrelevant I certainly wouldn’t be buying a Macan so like nearly everybody, I’m interested in value for money rather than just outright cost and some of the members make good points re warranty but also the value of independents.
At the end of the day we will all have slightly different views on value, risk and affordability so no one answer to this I think.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Percymon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:57 pm Having come from JLR i wouldn't say their service bills were an awful lot better to be honest. The OPC costs come with the vehicle purchase, but there are equally as good ex Porsche techs operating in independents that will reduce costs as the cars get older; owners choices.
Agree, JLR have to be serviced annually regardless of mileage.
If I add the 2 year service costs for my F-Type it came to more than the £740 I have just paid for a major service and brake fluid change.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

JurassicGTS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:57 pm Having come from JLR i wouldn't say their service bills were an awful lot better to be honest. The OPC costs come with the vehicle purchase, but there are equally as good ex Porsche techs operating in independents that will reduce costs as the cars get older; owners choices.
If I add the 2 year service costs for my F-Type it came to more than the £740 I have just paid for a major service and brake fluid change.
My LR was variable miles, typically 20k or 2 years - it got serviced at 23 months, on time basis , with the mileage at 18,500. Cost for an oil n filter change plus brake fluid £380. That was £40 better than another local dealer quoted. Still not fantastic for a four pot diesel engine service. Customer experience was as poor as i expected, but then i expect nothing from dealerships these days (saves being disappointed !)
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Percymon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm
JurassicGTS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm
My LR was variable miles, typically 20k or 2 years - it got serviced at 23 months, on time basis , with the mileage at 18,500. Cost for an oil n filter change plus brake fluid £380. That was £40 better than another local dealer quoted. Still not fantastic for a four pot diesel engine service. Customer experience was as poor as i expected, but then i expect nothing from dealerships these days (saves being disappointed !)
Interesting as Jaguar is every year regardless.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Jon A wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:04 pm
I don’t entirely agree with this - the Macan is a mass produced entry level Porsche based on a 9 year old Q5 platform. Let’s not run away with the idea that because you are buying a Porsche, service costs shouldn’t matter, they do!
If budget was irrelevant I certainly wouldn’t be buying a Macan so like nearly everybody, I’m interested in value for money rather than just outright cost and some of the members make good points re warranty but also the value of independents.
At the end of the day we will all have slightly different views on value, risk and affordability so no one answer to this I think.
Read all your comments here Jon A, just begs the questions 🤔 How long are you planning to keep it and why a Macan❓
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

MikeM wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Read all your comments here Jon A, just begs the questions 🤔 How long are you planning to keep it and why a Macan❓
Two good questions actually. In answer to the first, I don't know but not long if I hate it (unlikely), but may be six plus years if I love it? The answer to the second question is more nuanced i think. My friend has one and it certainly drives better than anything else i have tried for this type of car (load lugger, dogs in the back, but some "fun driving" too), but like any car it is far from perfect. There are loads of things about my previous F-Pace i would like to have been on the Macan but there are features on the Macan that i like too (suspension is a big one here for me).
So ultimately having spent a lifetime with various BM's and Mercs and not being a fan of Audi's (ironically) here i am ordering a Macan because it is best fit rather than perfect fit to everything i think i want - but mostly it is sixty odd grand and that's exactly where my budget is! :lol:
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Jon A wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:35 pm
MikeM wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Two good questions actually. In answer to the first, I don't know but not long if I hate it (unlikely), but may be six plus years if I love it? The answer to the second question is more nuanced i think. My friend has one and it certainly drives better than anything else i have tried for this type of car (load lugger, dogs in the back, but some "fun driving" too), but like any car it is far from perfect. There are loads of things about my previous F-Pace i would like to have been on the Macan but there are features on the Macan that i like too (suspension is a big one here for me).
So ultimately having spent a lifetime with various BM's and Mercs and not being a fan of Audi's (ironically) here i am ordering a Macan because it is best fit rather than perfect fit to everything i think i want - but mostly it is sixty odd grand and that's exactly where my budget is! :lol:
A few points for your consideration. The S spec in your signature is over £70k OTR with over £14k in additions so not shabby. The high value of additions will negatively influence the residual a little but not the used sale desirability. Porsche service costs I agree are expensive but when compared to the lifetime costs at say 5 years against your previous marks, they actually stand up as the residual is far superior. Never yet kept a Porsche for more than 4 years. (Although I do have other cars much older) If you have a good Indie and are going past 5, definitely would use them, anything less would just stay within OPC and accept that yes, it’s rich but not many people out there spending £70k on a set of wheels for what is a mid size SUV! With plenty cheaper in the VAG stable alone. Are they value for money? No. Is there anything for driving pleasure to compare? In a SUV 🤔 Haven’t found it yet and I’ve had lots of others. Still looking though 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6