Macan with 2 kids anybody?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

azmj wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:41 pm I must say I was afraid of posting but some really helpful replies - thank you very much for all of the insights.
We just have a 6 and 2 year old so the legroom really isn't an issue as it would be with older children.

I have a deposit on a Defender 110 as a backup, but I know that the drive/residuals/quality of the Macan will be unrivalled!

Heart says Porsche (who's wouldn't?) but just don't want to be kicking myself if it turns out to be too small.
Dare I ask of non Cayenne alternatives which will tick those 3 boxes?
In my opinion you will be absolutely fine with the Macan. I have a 2.5yr old and another one on the way and we will be using the Macan when we have both of them. It will be smaller than the VW Towrag as it’s based on the Q7 platform and Macan is Q5 platform so you’ve moved from suv class to medium/compact suv.

We have a front facing car seat currently and there is plenty of space, we have had two large adults in the back along side it and for that it’s probably not ideal more than an hours drive. In terms of boot a buggy goes in easily we are using a stroller now so width wise it goes in and sits behind the seats in the boot, we have put our proper buggy in to test(iCandy) which is in two pieces and we can stack them or have the frame standing up if we wanted.

It may come down to what you are used to though, we came from an Astra and as such we think there is loads of room and we feel comfortable if you are used to a much bigger car then you might be used to never filling the boot up. As with all these things it’s personal choice but the Macan will definitely work if you want it.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Okay, I agree it all depends on what your used to. The worst aspect I have found is when the children are really small the rearward facing seats need to have the front seats too far forward, plus the I-Candy buggy and a few extra essentials plus bags are just a pain. Although, yes liveable and as soon as they are past that stage it’s fine. Still use my wife’s Land Rover for the task, it’s just easier. Not allowed to speed around with grandkids and dogs on board 🤢 too risky 🤮
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

@azmj, you should be fine, depending how much stuff you want to carry around.
Many young families fit into Golf-size vehicle. Macan is utter luxury in comparison.

I don’t mean to be offensive, just practical. It might take some effort to downsize a little, Macan is a great family ride.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

I should add that air and comfort mode is great for helping your kids fall asleep :)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

BanZ wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 pm I should add that air and comfort mode is great for helping your kids fall asleep :)
Yes but calpol is cheaper 😳🤐😂😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ryderbridge

Post by ryderbridge »

I totally get your concerns about car space with two kiddos. I'm actually in a similar situation, contemplating a switch from a larger car to a Macan. It's always helpful to hear from other parents who've been through it.
I recently came across https://fosterplus.org/circle-of-support , which has some great insights on raising kids. It might be worth checking out for some helpful tips.
Regarding the Macan, I've heard that the rear space is pretty good, especially with front-facing seats. As for luggage space, it might be a bit tight, but hey, we're parents. We learn to pack light, right?
By the way, air and comfort mode sounds like a game-changer for those nap times! Gotta love it when the little ones fall asleep peacefully.
If anyone else has made the switch from a larger car to a Macan, I'd love to hear your experiences too.
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Perspective is key I think.

I have 1 kid (now 2yrs old) so granted its not 2 kids but still.

We had only a A3/Golf size car for the first 2 years of having her. Pram took up most of the boot, so we had to put shopping ontop and on the spare passenger seat. That did feel like a squeeze, specially going on holiday.

Now we have the Macan it feels like a space ship in comparison and my thinking being if we have too much 'stuff' that it wont fit in the Macan boot then we've brought too much with us. Plus I also got a very small folding pram for those travel situations which saves a lot of room. Very worst case scenario I could get a roof box.

Overall, I think the Macan is fine size wise. Just cut your cloth (luggage) accordingly
azmj

Post by azmj »

Just had our GTS over 6 months now.
The boot actually is not an issue for us which was my initial concern.
However the rear space is, with two car seats the middle seat space is non existent you are essentially buying a 2+2 if you have two child seats.
Finally the legroom is limited at the back for the kids and can see this getting worse as they get older.
A friend of mine once said the Macan is like a Golf on stilts and I am afraid purely size wise I have to agree.
2022 Macan GTS Copper Ruby
2022 Cayman GT4 PDK GT Silver
2022 VW ID3 Family Pro Performance Moonstone
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

azmj wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:25 am Just had our GTS over 6 months now.
The boot actually is not an issue for us which was my initial concern.
However the rear space is, with two car seats the middle seat space is non existent you are essentially buying a 2+2 if you have two child seats.
Finally the legroom is limited at the back for the kids and can see this getting worse as they get older.
A friend of mine once said the Macan is like a Golf on stilts and I am afraid purely size wise I have to agree.
I got a Macan GTS when my kids were 8, 12 and 15. They hated it and so we had to use a 7-seater Kia for family trips. Now I have a Cayenne they love it. The space is akin to a first class airplane cabin and the boot is sizeable as well. However it is a big jump up sizewise. I think the Macan works for 2 kids but any more than that I don’t think it’s a pleasant experience, or even practical if you need 3 boosters.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
James61

Post by James61 »

I’ve got two kids ages 7 and 4, and it’s fine. Was a bit tight in the boot on long journeys when we first got it and we’re humping around buggy etc but manageable, and now we don’t have the baby stuff it’s plenty big enough.

I also know a couple of other people with two kids and they are fine with it too.

You can always have more space but the Macan always just about fits everything we need it to.

James