Sports Chrono

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Tracky wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:28 am It’s quick to 60 because it optimises the launch through launch control and puts the gearbox in a more aggressive setting which you would not want on all the time
That makes sense to me :-). What I don't understand is the "boost button" that they say is for overtaking? Something about increasing the turbo boost for 20 seconds ? None of the published perfortmance figures I have seen make any claims about this with/without SC? The dealer told me that he would just drop a gear or two for the same effect?

pmg

Post by pmg »

Dannyp wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Tracky wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:28 am It’s quick to 60 because it optimises the launch through launch control and puts the gearbox in a more aggressive setting which you would not want on all the time
That makes sense to me :-). What I don't understand is the "boost button" that they say is for overtaking? Something about increasing the turbo boost for 20 seconds ? None of the published perfortmance figures I have seen make any claims about this with/without SC? The dealer told me that he would just drop a gear or two for the same effect?
I thought it does something to the engine mapping tweaking the balance from fuel economy to a bit more performance. Do not F1 cars have a similar function?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I don't know about the mechanics / electronics trickery,
but boy does it shift when you want that up to 20 sec extra rapid overtaking boost :twisted:

So accessible too with a quick jab of the steering wheel button ;)
and keeping your eyes on the road :geek: , rather than the dash. :roll:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ianst

Post by ianst »

As mentioned, on gen 2 & 3, the wheel on the steering wheel makes it worth it, much easier to switch modes
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:36 pm
Dannyp wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:31 pm
I thought it does something to the engine mapping tweaking the balance from fuel economy to a bit more performance. Do not F1 cars have a similar function?
That's what I understood - and increasing the turbo boost? The thing is, none of the published figures make any claims for how much additional power or speed is offered in "boost mode"? It seems very odd to me that they wouldn't be more specifc about that. They only show one figure for "in gear acceleration (nothing additional for SC as with the 0-60 etc).
I really don't have an axe to grind because I don't hare about and haven't specced it :-)
It just seems odd to me .... :D
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I'm no expert but I thought the only way to increase turbo boost was to make it bigger or spin faster. Unless they have a way to make either variable it sounds like a con with the fuel supply and/or gearbox control being the more likely explanation, so just a limited time sport+ button?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Electronic wastegate control..........

In the bad old days it was a spring preload............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Said I wasn't an expert! 😀
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP