Coming home exterior lights suddenly stopped working

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tracky wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:16 am Getting back on topic.

The light switch needs to be set in the Auto position plus there are settings in the MFD Menu that govern how the Coming Home feature functions so do check these.
We hadn’t gone off topic

The battery points are very valid as to why sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t
+1
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

CreativeVision

Post by CreativeVision »

That’s why I mentioned battery saving in my original post. I’ve found it very aggressive - my stop start stops working whenever i haven’t driven the car for long journeys and always starts working again as soon as I do a >1 hour journey … but despite numerous visits to the Porsche dealer when it was under warranty they refused to accept that was the issue and even changed battery once - only for exactly same thing to occur!

As the other member said - Macans (or at least mine) appear to be quite aggressive when it comes to battery saving strategies. To be fair, mine usually is only driven at the weekend for less than 10 miles total about 45 weeks of the year! Not sure why I’ve got it to be honest!
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

That seems a very valid question, now is a good time to sell! I've had no similar issues but done close to 25k miles in 27 months and if it doesn't move in three days I start getting withdrawal symptoms and take it for a run just for the hell of it :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pmg

Post by pmg »

CreativeVision wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:09 pm That’s why I mentioned battery saving in my original post. I’ve found it very aggressive - my stop start stops working whenever i haven’t driven the car for long journeys and always starts working again as soon as I do a >1 hour journey … but despite numerous visits to the Porsche dealer when it was under warranty they refused to accept that was the issue and even changed battery once - only for exactly same thing to occur!

As the other member said - Macans (or at least mine) appear to be quite aggressive when it comes to battery saving strategies. To be fair, mine usually is only driven at the weekend for less than 10 miles total about 45 weeks of the year! Not sure why I’ve got it to be honest!
Putting it on a Ctek battery charger is sensible on that use and will solve the issues
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:10 pm
CreativeVision wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:09 pm That’s why I mentioned battery saving in my original post. I’ve found it very aggressive - my stop start stops working whenever i haven’t driven the car for long journeys and always starts working again as soon as I do a >1 hour journey … but despite numerous visits to the Porsche dealer when it was under warranty they refused to accept that was the issue and even changed battery once - only for exactly same thing to occur!

Putting it on a Ctek battery charger is sensible on that use and will solve the issues
Putting it on charge may be the answer to the current issue as a fix but there’s no way in the world a modern car should need this no matter how few miles are covered. I have never experienced this problem with any other car since the 1980’s and I would suggest something is draining this battery that shouldn’t be.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
pmg

Post by pmg »

Jon A wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Putting it on charge may be the answer to the current issue as a fix but there’s no way in the world a modern car should need this no matter how few miles are covered. I have never experienced this problem with any other car since the 1980’s and I would suggest something is draining this battery that shouldn’t be.
In the 1980s, there was no auto stop-start and the amount of electrical equipment cars now carry. If cars are being used for less than an hour after being started up and then left a week, I am not surprised there are battery issues. I had a BMW that failed its MOT due to indicators not working after the tester had run the battery down. Fortunately, I had seen the tester return the car to the main garage with indicators working, so he was a bit embarrassed
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

My cars are never garaged, we rarely get hard frosts let alone snow and ice. That said, the two Macans have never had a battery issue. Even during very infrequent use, during Covid lock-down times with shorter journeys, all the interior and exterior lights have worked as they're intended.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Putting it on charge may be the answer to the current issue as a fix but there’s no way in the world a modern car should need this no matter how few miles are covered.
So where do you suppose the battery will get its charge from? ‘No matter how few miles are covered’.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:10 pm

Putting it on charge may be the answer to the current issue as a fix but there’s no way in the world a modern car should need this no matter how few miles are covered.
So where do you suppose the battery will get its charge from? ‘No matter how few miles are covered’.
It should hold its charge hence being a battery I imagine. I have left my mercs at Heathrow long stay for six weeks (several times) and returned for it to instantly turn over with no loss of any functionality. I’m no technical guru but my experiences tell me that this kind of fault is not normal for a healthy modern battery I think?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:32 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:10 pm
It should hold its charge hence being a battery I imagine. I have left my mercs at Heathrow long stay for six weeks (several times) and returned for it to instantly turn over with no loss of any functionality. I’m no technical guru but my experiences tell me that this kind of fault is not normal for a healthy modern battery I think?
Yes, a car parked for weeks should maintain at least enough charge to start it, but modern cars have many systems that are live and running even when parked and locked, the sophisticated alarm system to mention just one. And cars nowadays monitor the state of the battery and utilise various ways to maintain at least enough charge to start it by progressively shutting down nonessential systems. The main problem is when cars are parked for lengthy periods and then only used for short journeys resulting in insufficient charge being returned to the battery. A depleted battery will often need at least an hour's running at speed to put a reasonable charge back in. Lifestyle changes, high tech cars, not to mention the pandemic, have resulted in many vehicles constantly struggling with low battery state, which is why owners report that systems like stop/start don't work properly. So for a car that is used infrequently, or mainly for short runs, particularly in winter when demands on the battery are much higher, it makes sense to hook up a battery conditioner like the Cetek.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA